Rally question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally question...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally question...

How do you go about getting involved in this kind of competition??
    I had asked about agilility in the past but Buck is only 10 months old...so I have to wait for that till he is older. I don't have to for Rally and obedience stuff right?

Is there any way to train your pup at home for this?? or is it best to go to a class for it??

Better yet...I should ask what exactly does this kind of competition entail...

Hope it's not a terribly stupid question...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally question...

The only stupid question is the one not asked.*

IMO Rally would be right up your alley.* Rally is like agility and obedience combined.* You have to follow a preset course (like Agility) and perform obedience exercises at each station.* The only words you'll hear from the judge are "Are you Ready?" and "Forward".

Here is the link to the rally signs & descriptions.* http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/ROR999.pdf

If you have at least a basic obedience class under your belt, then I think it is fairly easy to train Rally at home IF you understand the exercises but a class would also be very helpful. Some of the exercises were confusing to me because I've been doing traditional obedience for many years.* For example they have "finish" which requires a sit (like traditional), "finish" which does not require a sit, and "finish" which indicates the end of the course.** : There are lots of little nuances for each exercise (for example when can you move your feet, when can you not).

Look at the link and read the sign descriptions.* We can help you with any questions you have. There is also an awesome Rally forum here.* *http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rally-obed/ It is frequented by judges so you can ask specific judging type questions (how many points off for this or that, is this or that allowed, etc).
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

There is also a book "Click your way to Rally" by Pam Dennison that gives a lot of info.

You can do it at home, but the bad side to that is you can't see yourself/dog and some things that are happening like a trainer can, so what might look right from your angle will look different to the trainer/judge. We got our first APDT "Q" without class, but personally I wouldn't do it that way again. Class is a blast. You get to meet wonderful people and the support is really nice.
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Good stuff! Thanks!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I would also recomend a pre-novice obedience class or a novice obedience class as the same time as rally classes or maybe even instead of. If you can complete a pre-novice obedience class you have all the basics for novice rally, but a rally class would be better at preparing you for running a course. Taking both classes at the same time would really be the best of both worlds and how I am going to do it with my next dog. Also you can order the "Rally Signs" from AKC.org (Cost is $2.00) , it is a book that has all theexercises and the official directions on how to do them. You can also buy prelaminated signs on E-bay for about $36.00 so you can set up your own course and practice.

Hope this helps you.

P.S. Rally is alot of funand I highly recomend it.

Kelly G and Amber CD RA CGC
    Chino Ca
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Actually our Rally class is the third in our classes. We begin with a basic beginner's class and then a novice class where we teach a lot of the mechanics needed for Rally. Then our Rally class teaches you walk a course, read the signs, etc. Rally is great fun! If you do train by yourself, be careful of how many questions you as fellow competitors when you go to your first show. That is not a place to learn how to walk the course or how to do a sign.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Oh! Thanks for all the tips guys! He is currently in Advanced level obedience training. Aiming for our CGC in january. Could have been sooner if I didn't have to take a few weeks break for personal reasons. So while we are on break from classes I thought I'd start training for rally type stuff at home if possible.

I really want to do some kinda competition stuff with him. If Buck doesn't have a purpose Buck goes nuts. He needs to be doing something.
    That and I need to be doing something with him other than petting him :P
    I have all these ambitions for him...we'll see if I can accomplish any of it!

Again thanks for the all the responses. I will definitely look into it all and get started at home and come December most likely will enroll in a rally type class. ;D

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Also at 10 months of age you can start agility as long as it is Puppy Agility. NO weave poles! No jumps over 8 inches! This is the time when you can learn things like Contacts, left and right, go outs, line maners, tunnel and chute, etc...
    I fyour dog will heel on leash (with a loose leash) and stay with you on left, right , and aboout turns and knows down and sit, and will sit front on a recall, then you are pretty much ready to start learning rally. I always ask alot of questions of the judge during the walk through because I want to know what the judge wants for each station. Some stations are obvious though like turns and such, some are harder to know like the moving sidestep does the judge want it before or after the sign? also entries into and out of serpentines and spirals.
    The best resource for performing each rally station is the Rally Signs book sold at AKC.org for $2.00 You should also get the Obedience and rally rule book at the same time it is also $2.00.

Kelly G and Amber CD RA CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    Also you can order the "Rally Signs" from AKC.org (Cost is $2.00) , it is a book that has all theexercises and the official directions on how to do them.* You can also buy prelaminated signs on E-bay for about $36.00 so you can set up your own course and practice.
    If you go to the Rally link I gave you, you can print off the signs from there for free and laminate them yourself. ;D They also have 3x5 card size so you can practice them anytime, anywhere.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Thanks Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast