Class - First time in 2 months

Thread: Class - First time in 2 months

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

DefaultClass - First time in 2 months

I got to go to class last night . Got there and the trainer says - I have a surprise for you tonight, we are doing and Excellent course and you have to do it off leash (she like to challenge us). We go in the ring, take off the lead, and I would swear that a greater power was smiling down on us. It was Rally Bliss. Rowdy saw nothing but me. Every sit was on, Every front was perfect, Every left turn was tight, even the Honor was perfect. He knew he was being Super Rally Dog. He was grinning and so was I. I turned to the trainer and said "gee if we could only get through Novice".

I just think it is crazy that we can go through an Excellent course off lead and have great results but can't get through a Novice course without a melt down.
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Class - First time in 2 months

Actually it isn't uncommon for dogs to do better off lead than on lead even in traditional. I know Murray heels better off lead and our heeling scores from Novice prove it. I think a lot of people use the leash as a crutch or umbilical cord. Once it's off then you are forced to use all of your training skills. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I am so glad you had so much fun! Lydia is correct that many dogs do better off lead. Another thing is if we are nervous it transfers right down that lead to the dog!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

That is exactly what I was told. We just have to get through Novice somehow.

The other thing it proved to me was that he does like to do it. I was really starting to wonder if he was just trying to go through it for me. I am sure you have all see it in your dogs, but I was just so impressed with the way he was walking through, tail out, eyes and ears ready, and a wonderful labby smile on his face. It was like he was saying "See mom I can do this real good for you". I get so mushy when he does good.
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I too lose about twice the points on leash as off leash. I think part of it is that we are doing the patern in the ring the second time off leash after first Practicing it on leash. I wonder if the results would be the same if we did the off leash first and then the on leash second???? just a thought.

Kelly G and Amber CD RA CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Actually it isn't uncommon for dogs to do better off lead than on lead even in traditional. I know Murray heels better off lead and our heeling scores from Novice prove it. I think a lot of people use the leash as a crutch or umbilical cord. Once it's off then you are forced to use all of your training skills.
    *raises hand for umbilical cord* :

First of all, that's just great about last night!! I know you are just grinning ear to ear!

Someone recently told me exactly what Lydia said above. I had been going to traditional obedience Show n Gos for, oh, close to a year, but had always been too chicken to do the off-leash heeling pattern without the leash. Last time we went, I told our trainer, "I'm going to do everyting just like it would be in a show, off-leash and all."

My friend Anna was videotaping us. It's so funny...about halfway through our off-leash heeling the camera gets very still and stops following us. She said she was just mesmerized by how well he was heeling - kind of in shock - so she was just watching and forgot to move the camera.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever