Test Run Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test Run Today

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultTest Run Today

Not really obedience, be we did a test run with the dogs in the new Trailblazer today. I wanted to see how best to load and unload them. Initially I had all the seats down but I really did not like them standing above my head right behind me, so I put up the center seats and made them sit in the back section. Ruger paced... he didn't like being that far away from me. Magnum LOVED it, she sat looking out the back window and had a ball. Ruger finally laid down and relaxed.

I am loading them on the passenger side... tipping the seat up so that they can jump onto the floor there and then onto the back platform. And I unload them at the passenger side as well as it gives me good control in getting one dog out at a time.

Can't wait to haul them to any actual show. The trailblazer is VERY comfortable for us

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Test Run Today

So, you got a new vehicle!!!! How nice! Another advantage to loading and especially unloading at the side is they don't have as far to jump down, helping to protect those shoulders and pasterns.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Susan, yep. With a third dog on the way I needed something bigger for hauling them. Although the Trailblazer is NOT bigger than my truck, it has more room inside for the dogs I still have my truck. Traded in mom's Malibu to get the Trailblazer. I'm helping her make the payments on it. She loves it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

You are so funny...a "test run". ;D I was amazed at how much room the trailblazer had when we used my friend's to drive to San Diego with 2 people, 2 dogs, and all our gear for 5 days. They are great vehicles.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Lydia, I guess I kinda worry about stuff. My dogs have only ever travelled in my truck, on the floor in the back seat area. My main concern is getting them in/out of the vehicle safely. Seems I can do it with the Trailblazer as easily as in the truck, so I'm good to go.

I'm right now bidding on a dog barrier for inside it. This will keep them in the back area I'm hoping that when I fold the front seat down I can get them out underneath the barrier... it looks like I can from the pictures. If not, it's only $9.95 so not a big deal if I can't use it.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

The one I rode in had a raised platform in the cargo area. This provided room to put all the misc stuff that needed to be carried (ex-pens, extra crates, mats, etc). The crates sat on top of that and we piled more stuff on top of them like chairs. We put ice chests and bottles of water on the floor behind the front seat. Our training gear, suitcases, and medical gear (friend is a nurse so she's always prepared for ANYTHING) on the back seat.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Mine is the EXT Trailblazer (it has three rows of seats). With the back row folded down there is ample room for at least four dogs. I plan on having the dogs ride back there and packing the middle area with my crates, cooler, chairs, etc.. We also have the luggage rack on top if I need it, but I doubt I would need it as there really is a lot of room inside this vehicle!!

patm is offline Senior Member

I must have missed something - are you getting another dog? Do tell

Yes, I have a puppy on order. It's not been conceived yet.. we are waiting... and waiting.. and waiting for the bitch to come into season

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a really nice set up. I have gotten into the habit of always having Amber travel in her crate (VeriKennel) .I do this because I am worried about being in an accident and having her ejected from the vehicle. I know that SUV's are much more likely to roll over in the event of an accident and that when they roll over it usually breaks the windows out. My worst fear would be Amber lose on the freeway after an accident. I remember this happened to someone out in New Mexico on their way to a dog show and they never were able to find their dog again... I also think my Amber is a bit more rested when she travels in a crate than when she has the whole backseat to roam. And I know thousands of dogs ride free without a problem but I am a worry wort..lol

Kelly G and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast