Went to first show
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to first show

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

DefaultWent to first show

on Saturday just to watch some and see what goes on. I couldn't stay long as i had company at home. I saw some Rally Excellant, some Obedience Open, and some novice b obedience. And I was totally intimidated. I realize the rally was much harder than the novice would be, but the ring looked small and just CRAMMED with signs, and i got disoriented just looking at it from the outside, much less if I were in there. i can just seem me wandering aimlessly around and around, like in a maze!
    And the open obedience is of course much more advanced than we are. I just can't see ever getting there!
    The novice b wasn't bad. I at least knew what they were doing. And some of the dogs' performances were less than stellar! I didn't see any crocodile death rolls or leaping into the adjoining ring tho. Just some crooked sits or poor heeling.
    STILL, the idea of being in the ring like that with all that focus on you is scary as heck to me! I don't know if I'm going to be able to make myself try it!

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Went to first show

Rally is good cause all the stations are numbered and you just follow the numbers (yes, I have gotten lost!) and you have a map you can study. Really not that difficult once you know the signs. I bet you'll do fine.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The more you show, the more you don't care that other people are watching you. When I first started showing my heart literally SLAMMED inside my chest, I was so nervous, and I hated it if the room was really quiet... I like background noise... makes me feel like people are going about their business and not just standing and watching me.

You'll do fine. You just have to get in there and start doing it. Once you do, you are hooked

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    * Once you do, you are hooked
    That's the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I have been in it a while, I find such a great bunch of people who are there to cheer when you do well and help you when you have a problem. It's great. When you get into the ring, it is just you and your dog, you as a team.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

[email protected] death rolls!

If you would've hung around longer, I'll bet you'd have seen something to make you relax a little At our show this weekend, there was one other yellow Lab. I totally missed this whole thing, but Kevin and Anna (my friend from the club) saw it and said it was hilarious (only because it wasn't happening to us).

This was in Rally Advanced. I was just telling Kevin earlier how I didn't think Angus would ever be able to walk past two bowls of toys, or Heaven forbid food, and not lose it. Well, this yellow Lab proved my theory. He took one look at the toy, grabbed it, and started butt-tucking around the ring. The poor handler looked mortified by the time I got in there. They said no one could catch him, and he was just happy as a dog could get running around with his prize.

This will be Angus in Advanced. Everything else, maybe. The treat bowls...I have my doubts. :P

You know, the longer you work with him you will be surprised how things that seemed insurmountable at one time become more and more attainable. The Good Lord knows I would have never thought, two years ago when Angus was trying to chew my fingers off to nubs, that I would be in any kind of obedience ring with him

I remember going to my first show, just to watch, last year. I actually felt a little better. I was ring steward in Novice B. Several dogs left their handler's sides, refused to do things, and one dog even peed in the ring.

You'll get there! I'm glad you got to go and watch. I'm sure you had a great time!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh and yes, sometimes those Rally courses can be very confusing! I have gotten lost in practices a few times. The scary thing is, this would be after walking the course several times! But then again, I can be a little ditzy

Usually they seem to *try* to take it easy on Novice peeps. This weekend our course was SO easy. It was very linear, all around the edges of the ring. No way you could mess it up.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Believe me, the rally courses look confusing to me too from outside the ring. It's a totally different perspective when you are IN the ring. It will make more sense. Generally speaking, the next sign is directly in front of you when you finish an exercise so it flows. Of course, there are some judges who design the courses from hell but thankfully those are few and far between.

At our next show (in 2 weeks), I will be trying a new Rally class with Murray. It's called Rally Challenge. You are not allowed to see the course, walk the course, see a map of the course, or watch anyone else run the course. You go in totally blind. I can't wait. It sounds like it will be challenging as well as a lot of fun. ;D

Here are some things that happened this weekend that might make you feel better (as long as it isn't you).

1) A dog left the Open A ring left and ran over to the Rally Excellent ring (where a dog was working) and ate the food from the offset figure 8 exercise. Talk about the handler being mortified. :P

2) A Great Dane butt tucked around his dumbbell in Open A, circle after circle after circle, before picking it up...on both the retrieve on flat and the retrieve over the high.

3) A Novice A competitor did the entire heeling routine...alone.

4) Essy decided to only do left finishes even though the Rally course required right finishes. Everyone was laughing at her because she was so happy and proud while doing them jumping up in the air, plopping down her butt and furiously wagging her tail. I probably would have laughed too if it hadn't been MY dog.

5) A dog in Nov A rolled completely over to her back (legs straight up in the air) for the long down. She apparantly was very comfortable as she stayed that way until the very last minute when a grasshopper happened to leap over her and catch her eye. She flipped over, jumped up on her feet and started chasing the grasshopper. :

You definitely have to keep a sense of humor when you are showing another living, breathing, thinking animal.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

LOL at some of those "feel better" examples....especially the grasshopper. That would have been Sam. he can't resist a moving bug.

frances

patm is offline Senior Member

A Novice A competitor did the entire heeling routine...alone
    OMG! How brave! They must have been mortified - what was the dog doing? (get a mental picture of it sitting back with a cigarette, watching it's owner go through her paces)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm

what was the dog doing? (get a mental picture of it sitting back with a cigarette, watching it's owner go through her paces)
    HA!* Yep that's pretty much what the dog was doing.* The dog was sitting where they first set up by the judge to start the pattern.* Actually I've seen this happen a number of times even in the Open and Utility classes.* Fortunately in Open and Utiliity, most handlers know to give a 2nd heel command.*Ask Linda (raian) about heeling alone. Novice A people are so scared when they step into that ring that they forget everything and/or are so awed/afraid of the judge that they don't want to do anything wrong. The judge eventually called a halt, walked up behind the girl and whispered "you can give a 2nd heel command" but the damage was already done by then.

Unfortunately this particular handler was a young girl, not much older than Meghan.* The dog (a Dane) was a real butt head in Rally too.* The poor girl was in tears by the 3rd exercise.* We all cheered for her and Meghan and I talked to her afterwards so I think she was feeling better.* Earlier in the day she tried to go into the Rally ring with tags on the choke chain so one of my friends quickly gave her her dog's collar so the girl could go in.* The girls mom looked at me and said "our trainer never said anything about not having tags on the collar".* I wonder what else the trainer didn't tell them.* :-\* Thankfully they did much better on Sun.* They Qd in Rally and almost Qd in obedience but the dog stood up on the long down.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast