Finding the Balance??

Thread: Finding the Balance??

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultFinding the Balance??

Does anyone have trouble finding the right "balance" with their dog?

I can almost never find the right balance of authority/friendliness with Zeke. If I am too strict, he begins to totally act out/up snd then I get frustrated etc. The day can turn into a complete mess if that happens. So, then I try being less of a stickler....and I end up being too lenient and he thinks he can do whatever he wants....which ends up making me frustated, and it turns in to a mess again :

Now, when I get the balance *right* he generally does his obed/rally with enthusiasm and style, and its generally pretty good. Its just hard to get that right!

On a side note: I need to learn to not be so nervous in the ring - it ends in a mess too :P
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Finding the Balance??

Hmm, no. I've not had this problem. I play and goof around with my dogs, but when I'm training or trialing, they know I'm the authority figure.

How old is Zeke? A lot of the goofiness will turn to focus as the dog get's older.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

He's four....
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I get it right most of the time, but sometimes I find myself giving a command in too much of a "question" , or "would you do this please?" tone, and other times, too much of a sharp command when it is not needed. I try try to give them in a gentle but firm tone for Emilu. We just need to keep listening to ourselves. I have more trouble finding the "balance" with our heeling pace. Still trying some things out so Emilu can do a trot that she and I can both sustain.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

No not really but I've been training dogs for a long time. I'm pretty good at reading body language so I usually know what Murray is thinking before he does. When we are training I give commands in a "matter of fact" tone all the time. I do not "ask" him to do anything. I tell him once then I enforce it. When he does it, then we celebrate and I use my silly voice which makes him all giddy/goofy. As soon as I get my serious voice back on, he knows it's back to business. If he looks like he's confused or shutting down, I break off and we play for awhile then we do something he knows well, then we go back to the troublesome exercise. I don't let him "win" by avoiding the problem exercise.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE