FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lydia--was wondering...

me, too.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

me three. Maybe she stayed for the weekend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Does this answer your question?

Murray gave me the doggy middle finger the entire run. * I just don't know what to do since he won't do this stuff in practice so I can correct him.* He lagged during heeling because he was checking out the scenery and air scenting the horses at the large horse show going on at the same facility just a few hundred feet from us.* He ignored my down signal, then only went halfway down (not a down and not a sit...somewhere in between) when I gave him a verbal. Sit was ok, recall was slow and he auto finished.* First article he just sat there when I sent him so I bopped him in the back of the head to get his attention.* He got the article fine even though we were on fresh cut alfalfa and the wind was blowing.* The second article was fine.* He got glove #1 perfectly (yeah we finally Q on something).* Moving stand was also very nice (yeah another Q).* Go outs were very nice (fast and straight) but he walked back into me...all the way back...all the while I'm screaming Sit, SIT, SIIIITTT!!!!!!!*at the top of my lungs. The judge ended our misery early and said "exercise finished" so I took the opportunity to walk out to Murray, grab him by his ears and MAKE him sit.* Judge was NOT very happy with me but I really didn't give a damn at that point.* I've got to correct this attention problem some how.* Second go out was good but again he wandered back into me.

Afterwards we practiced off and on in the parking lot for several hours on signals and go outs and he did them fine.* I just don't know why this is happening.* This spacing out crap started with agility back in July and now it's infecting obedience as well.* We have a match next weekend then we have one more show out of town after that which is already closed or I would pull him.* I think we are done showing for awhile until I figure this out. Maybe leaving him home a few times while we take Essy will straighten his attitude out. GRRR!!!

It's really too bad because this is a very nice show site (it's a new facility so it has some kinks to be ironed out but overall, it's pretty nice) and we have 4 more shows at this same location.* It's a small show and obedience/rally are off by themselves so there isn't a flurry of activity going on around the rings.* The horse arenas are close but not visible (parking lot is in between horses and dogs).* If this had been a large show with tons of activity, I would have felt better about Murray being distracted but not at these small shows.* It's so frustrating.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I feel for you........... Are all of your shows outdoors? The reason I'm asking I had problems with Kona in Open in outside shows until after he got his title. I will only show Kona indoors for Utility right now (even though I practice at home outside) to keep some of the stress relief options to a minimum. (ie sniffing and watching the judge vs. me).

How old is Murray? (...... my memory is not good!!) It sounds stress related ...... and the younger Kona was the easier it was to stress him in the ring.

We make our debut next Sunday in NJ. At three different show and go's, Kona did well. He knows the exercises ....... we'll see if can do them when it counts!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Oh Lydia, I am so sorry! The joys of Utility :P :P
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry, Lydia. They don't call it Futility for nuttin'.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

debjen is offline Senior Member

Sorry things were so frustrating today

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt
    Are all of your shows outdoors?
    How old is Murray? (...... my memory is not good!!)
    Yes all of our shows are outdoors.* I have no idea what my dogs would do indoors.* I met someone today who said it has taken her 2 yrs to get 2 Utility legs (I think she was trying to cheer me up.* It didn't work ) She's from back east somewhere and she said she had to retrain her dog to show outdoors.

Murray is around 5 (he's a rescue so we don't know for sure of course).

It does sound some what stress related but I can't figure out why he would only stress on 2 exercises.* The stuff in the middle is always fine. Essy's gility trainer was stewarding today and she asked if I thought Murray really "knew" the exercises.* I said "well he does them perfectly in practice so I'd have to say yes." I knew I was showing him early in his training but I felt (and still do) that he knows the stuff well enough to Q, maybe not get high scores but definitely Q.* I just can't figure out why he would melt down now. We'll try again tomorrow but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

patm is offline Senior Member

I have already decided that I will never take Emilu to an outside obedience or rally class. Most of the ones in our area seem to be indoors anyways. I practice at home with Emilu outside - in fact it isn't the being outside part that is a problem - its' the grass. Although this dog spends most of her waking hours on grass, and LOVES the outdoors, she will NOT do obedience in the yard worth a darn. Won't sit on the grass! It is murder trying to get her to do anything involvoing actually touching the grass. (although she can spend hours sitting or laying in the front yard passing time) We have had some of our most frustrating practice in the yard, until I realized that it was the yard and not the dog. I know I should "make her" do it, but we both end up just getting frustratrated (on her part) and mad (on my part), so back to the patio we go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast