Rally this weekend: My prediction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally this weekend: My prediction

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally this weekend: My prediction

My prediction is, after tonight's Rally class - We are going to suck. Big time.

I did tonight with a) no treat pouch and b) no prong collar. HA! HAHA! HAHAHA! What training? What, watch you? I don't think so! Where's the treat, lady?

:

It was a chilling reminder of Huntsville. Very humbling.

Oh, I don't know. Kevin says I am overreacting. (ME? )

I realize, of course, this is all my fault. I have only rarely worked Angus at the club without a prong or a treat pouch. At home we *only* work off-leash. But I am *always* wearing the treat pouch. Yep. I have screwed us royally.

Kevin said, "Ohh, but a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance!"

I am sort of freaking out. Can you tell? Oh man, I just have all these visions of getting down there and losing him to hair on the floor, a stray piece of tape, and if some dog happens to soil the ring at some point during the day, we are done for sure.

I got our schedule. We will be ninth both days, and there are only 10 dogs one day, 11 dogs another. But, we are almost the very last class to compete. Meaning, hundreds of other dogs who have come before and left a smell or two or three for Angus to enjoy. :

I just want to Q. I don't ask for much. Just Q, Angus. :-\

Thanks for reading my pointless ramble. :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally this weekend: My prediction

Should I say it? Go out and just have fun with your dog You're right - should have ditched the treat bag and prong in class. I have always carried my treats in my pockets so she doesn't know if I really have them or not. I stopped using the prong in class and switched to a chain collar a few months being showing. I do need to get to a show very early so Emilu can see, smell and touch everything - several times! Right before we go into the ring I start having her do some simple things and reward her with CHEESE! She LOVES cheese and she only gets it on show days. I leave one piece in my pocket and right before we're called, I have her sit (or something really simple ) and give her my last piece. She spends the time in the ring looking up at me adoringly thinking that I might come forth with another piece of cheese. Not sure what advice to give you - Angus can be so good sometimes and so rotten other times. Maybe "good Angus" will be with you this weekend. We KNOW he can do it! (and try not to be too anxious - maybe some xanax for yourself so he doen'st pick up on your nerves)

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

First off I wish you luck.

You sound a lot like me, and Angus sounds just like Rowdy "SHOW ME THE TREAT".

I have no advice, but I will be sending lots of good thoughts your way.
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

And my students think I am nagging them when I tell them they should be weaning their dogs off of being bated around the Rally ring!!! Then the reality sets in! We have all done it! Voice of experience. One thing I notice is that when we leave the food outside the ring we then begin to walk funny. We are not walking in the same "confidence" we were with the food. That, in some ways is a larger signal to the dog that there is something different than the absense of the food.

Anyway, go have fun!!! We all understand!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Thanks you all I am feeling a tiny bit better this morning. A tiny bit. Even though I did have bad dreams about dog shows last night :

I was talking to my mom about it this morning on the way in. She gives pep talks like a pro. She sounded like you guys. She reminded me that Angus has a LOT of years ahead of him to show, and that we are still perfecting everything. She also said, "You know, Connie, if you would have asked me a year and a half ago if that dog would ever be able to do ANYTHING in a ring, I'd have bet the farm against it. Look how far he's come! Just the fact that you can even consider doing this is a credit to you!" Awww! He really was hell-dog as a puppy, and he has come so, so far.

Susan, I don't have to bait him around the ring anymore...we go through it all the time without him getting a treat. So at least there's that. BUT, I am always wearing that pouch. :-[

Mom said what I was thinking this morning...that I am just going to have to concentrate on un-training this for the next little while.

[email protected] me the treat! That's another thing Mom said this morning: "Angus is a 'show me the money' kind of guy." I am so wishing I had used that for his ILP name. Perfect for him.

Well, it will be an interesting weekend. At the very least, I will come back with some great ring horror stories. :P

Connie and "The Boys":

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Good luck!!! I am sure you'll do fine. Don't rush yourself, just go through the ring. When I took Hudler into the rally ring for that match last weekend it was only his 2nd time (first time we DQ for TOO MANY tight leashes) and NO rally practice, just regular obedience practice. We went slow and I talked him through the whole ring. Just for comparison, Maddy and I make it through in just a little over a minute, he and I took about 2 1/2 minutes.

Just have fun!!!

I know. I think I am going to need to CALM DOWN. A LOT. :

I also have been thinking that part of our problem last night was that I got him too jazzed. Marina has noticed that when I praise him in the high, excited voice, that's when he breaks off. He's thinking, OH GOOD, TREAT TIME! :-[ So, I am going to need to stay calm, calm calm and quiet, and go slow slow slow, until he is done. Last night on the advanced course, even with several mistakes and do-overs, and stopping at one station to have something explained, we whipped through in a 1:38. Too hyper!

This is all a learning experience...

Connie and "The Boys":

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

That happy high pitched voice doesn't work with my Grace either. She is really lacking in her obedience skills...mostly because I trained her for conformation. But she knows some basic things, and when we practice and I praise her for heeling right, if I squeal "Good Girl", she jumps up and tries to run around. I need to learn a new way with her.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus

Susan, I don't have to bait him around the ring anymore...we go through it all the time without him getting a treat. So at least there's that. BUT, I am always wearing that pouch.* :-[
    That is why with my students, they not only don't treat their dogs until they are done sometimes, but the bait bag is gone as well. Then at the end of the session it is a jackpot. Oh, those little things that come back to haunt us!!! :
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Have fun and good luck.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast