Teaching Broad Jump

Thread: Teaching Broad Jump

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeaching Broad Jump

Not to high-jack another thread, I thought I would start a new one.

Good advice on the BJ, rottnlabs. I forgot to say that when I said stand right at the jump, I was told to start with only 1 board to get her to jump. So not alot of clearance needed.

Like I said I was going to restart training from the beginning, but just don't know how necessary that really is. I can get her to do it right once, and then she walks over the boards, or hops between them. If I toss a toy over from the front, no issues clearing the boards at 44". If I stand at the side, say over, and as she jumps I toss the toy, she will actually do the jump correctly, ignore the toy and come to me in the proper fashion. Then as reward I tell her fetch.

Maybe I am training OK and my problem is the lack of frequency...with 3 dogs and I was doing my masters...I was really short on time. Now I finally can get back to training her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teaching Broad Jump

It sounds like you are on the right track. It does take lots of practice. I think the 40-46" width is the toughest to teach because the dog is only jumping 3 boards and they have huge gaps between them so of course the dog thinks "why jump when I can walk it". Essy will have to jump this wdith as well and I'm not looking forward to teaching it.

For your situation, I think the clear dowels would be the way to go. It sounds like you are having the same issue that my training buddy is having with one of her dogs. The issue is the dog jumps flat or walks the boards. She cut 2 wood blocks with a slanted hole in them so she could slide the clear dowels in and have them be at the right angle to cross like an X over the high jump. The dog has to jump exactly in the middle or she will hit the dowels. She can't see them so it is a surprise so she learns to jump arced. I'll see her on Thurs so I'll ask where she got the clear dowels from.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I thought of something else you can do. Have your tried bending a piece of chicken wire between each board? The dog can't see it but it feels funny when they try to step on it. Sometimes this cures dogs of walking the BJ but some dogs, like Murray, couldn't care less. I can't tell you how many times he jumped and landed square in the middle of the chicken wire and didn't even flinch. :
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

chicken wire is a great idea...

imported_agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Do you have adjustable jumps? When training in agility we put an adjustable jump in front of the broad jump. This would be set at about 12 inches just enough to let the dog know there is a jump but easy enough to clear if doing the broad the right way. I would start the dog back further for a running start. I give my dog a seperate command for all the unusual jumps "big". I say it in a big excited voice. Maddie used to have problems with the broad jump until we trained it this way.

Using the adjustable jump is a good idea too.

I will have to try these once I dig my jumps out from under the snow! LOL ;D (We had 8" last night)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I also used a bar jump with Ruger. I took one of my agility jumps and put it right in the middle of the spread on the broad jump. He was jumping flat and really cutting the corner on the landing. By placing the bar jump in the middle (at about 16" high) it made him collect himself more and round over the jump, giving him a better landing.

Keep at it, you'll get it.