Training update

Thread: Training update

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining update

Emilu and I aren't doing too much exciting right now, so I thought I'd give an update on our training. We are learning new things for Rally Advanced and starting off-leash training for Rally and Obedience. We started heeling backwards for Rally - wasn't sure how to teach it, so I started with her up against her kennel (only flat wall space we have around the house) and I lure her with a treat held over and slightly behind her head. She did well with that so we tried it in the open. She is going to learn it quickly. Only trouble is, if she is starting from a heeling position, she tends to stay sitting and just scoots backward on her butt - looks kinda cute, but I don't think it will make it in the ring, so I tell her to stand first and then we heel backwards. Doing pivots, which she seems to get fairly natrually - just hope I'm doing them right. Started working with our jumps - she LOVES jumping, run-by for Rally and throwing her dumbbell for obedience. Need to do the broadjump next - she tends to step on it on her way over. Doing shorts stints of off-leash heeling and working alot on our pace. We have had a hard time getting a good pace that we can both do over an extended period. I am going to start working her off-leash more in class, probably for everything BUT heeling right now. That way she will learn to do everythiing else off leash for Rally. We are taking advancing our off-leash heeling slowly, so we do it right - I don't want her lagging around behind me. Also working on the "come front" command for Rally Advanced, which you not only have to do off-leash, but you can't take any steps backwards so the dog has to come out in front of you from a heeling postion with you standing still. I am doing it with her onleash right now so I can guide her a little bit. I have decided not to breed her this fall, so I am thinking of showing early next year in both classes. We should be ready by then.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training update

How I taught baby Sophie to back up was luring her BELOW her head - treat between her front legs, so she's consciously using her hind end and driving backwards.

Might eliminate the sitting as well...

I'll try that. She only sits and scoots when we start out with her already sitting. If she is standing already, she doesn't tend to sit down. I'll see which way she does best. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I can't think of an instance where you will have to do a back up from a sitting/heel position. So I might not worry about that as much. You can do back ups against a fence or wall, and slightly tug backwards on the lease to encourage the backing up. In Rally Ex. you will have to be able to heel 3 steps backwards from forward heeling, and then go forward again, no halt in there.

The broadjump is hard...that's Maddy's down-fall. I would love tips on how people taught it. I was instructed to go back to the beginning and retrain from the beginning. Standing with her right in front of the jumps and tossing a treat/toy over, and then slowly backing up. Then moving to the right side, then running with her past the jump, all little steps until she is 8ft from the jump and I am standing where I need to. Right now, I can get her to do it with a ball or toy, and only very unreliably the right way.

OOps! You're right - no back-up steps from a sit - in fact - no back-up steps at all in Advanced, just in Excellent. And she was doing so well! There IS however , the side-step that we need to learn.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    There IS however , the side-step that we need to learn.
    Do you have a command for Emilu to correct her heel position at the beginning of heeling (a "get it in" or "get close" type command)?* That's what I use when I do the halt-side step-halt and I also use it for the back up 3 steps to keep Murray's rear from swinging out. Just wanted to mention that the back up 3 steps is the number of handler's steps, not the dog's.* A lot of people have been confused about that exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    Doing pivots, which she seems to get fairly natrually - just hope I'm doing them right.
    The most important part of pivots is YOUR footwork.* You must turn in place (in a space the size of a paper plate).* Then it's just a matter of getting the dog to adjust their position using a command like "get it in" or "get close".

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    The broadjump is hard...that's Maddy's down-fall. I would love tips on how people taught it.
    The BJ was Murray's most difficult exercise because he kept cutting the jump.* We NQd a couple of times for that reason only.

Personally I wouldn't teach the BJ from close up.* The dog needs momentum to be able to clear it.* Here are some things that I did.* First was the run by.* I turned the first board up on edge to make it look like a taller board. Then ran by with Murray and said "over".* Then I put Murray on a long line and stood directly behind the BJ and called Murray to me (like a recall over the BJ).* Then I moved over slightly to the right side of the BJ but still deep and away from it and did the same thing.* As Murray landed I lured him with a treat as I turned my back to the BJ and started backing up a few steps (so I ended up in the position I would normally be standing in).* For dogs that are jumping too flat, you can put the bar jump over the broadjump so the dog understands to arc their jump up and over.* The only thing I don't like about adding the bar jump is it is a visual aid that will not be in the ring so you have to fade it.* You can also make a jump out of clear dowels.* I have no idea where you buy them but one of my training buddies uses them for her dog that jumps flat.* Murray wasn't used to seeing a BJ with me standing still because that doesn't ever happen in agility so I had to figure out a way to get him to move when I wasn't.* I finally ditched the "over" command and just used an arm signal (my hand straight out over the BJ).* I taught this by sticking out my right arm (thumb upside down palm facing backwards) so I could toss a ball.* That motion became my signal and I never had an issue with him not jumping again.* Then he figured out that he needed to turn and come front so being smart, he wanted to do this the quickest way possible.* He started cutting the corner of the BJ so he could get to me quicker.* I fixed that by putting my DB under that corner of the jump so it was higher, a lot higher. It forced him to jump more towards the middle of the last board because it was lower.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE