Scotty's training video

Thread: Scotty's training video

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultScotty's training video

Scotty was a bit tired when we recorded this training session, so he does not look as alert. But my husband was ready to tape, so we did it. We're just learning forced fetch. We have not used the ear pinch, and I'm hoping that we won't have to. I think Scotty knows the concept of fetch. We just need to work on speeding it up now. Also, in the video, it is the very first time we ever tried retrieve over jump, and Scotty did it perfectly (though again we'll have to work on speed). But I'm pretty proud of my little guy.

High Bandwidth Flash

High Bandwidth Windows Media

Low Bandwidth Flash

Low Bandwidth Windows Media

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Scotty's training video

I enjoyed watching that .......Scotty has come a long way since his surgery. What a happy working dog. ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

raidernation is offline Senior Member

Wow that is great!! We just went to our first Rally/Obedience workshop this weekend. I have allot of work ahead of me. How old is Scotty? Raider is 8 months and I can't get his attention on me for very long. I am very impressed you have done a great job.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Looks good. What were you using on your arm? Obviously a little thing to put the treat in? I have never seen that before.

What were you using on your arm? Obviously a little thing to put the treat in? I have never seen that before.
    LOL! That's exactly what Julie asked me when she saw the first training video. I use a super sized clip with one unbent prong to put a treat on. I also wear one of those elastic hair bands around my arm to attach the clip to.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

What a fun video. What is your cue word when you send him? Sound like "fetch"? He's a really happy boy! I like the clip thingy on your arm, I might have to come up with something like that for my students.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't like to see dogs walking around with their heads up that high. I like to see the dog looking at where it's going, and glancing up at the handler along the way. I do like the dog to look up at the handler when they sit or stop... but not in motion. I'm not sure when this fad began, but it sure has hung around a long, long time

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ooo, I'll try to find a few minutes later to watch this at work. I loved the last video!

I don't think I'll ever do the ear pinch. The one place that Angus just loves to be petted, the one that makes him close his eyes and lean into me, is the inside of his ear. I'm sure it's the same part that you pinch for the retrieve. Anyway, he just melts when you play with that, so I would not dream of messing that up for him (and me!).

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Scotty is really looking good. I know you can buy armbands that have that little point on them. Then when you go in the ring, you have your regular armband on and the dog doesn't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    * I'm not sure when this fad began, but it sure has hung around a long, long time
    I thnk it came about around the same time as the OTCH title.* These dogs all had excellent heeling.* They started trying differentiate themselves by putting on a flashy performance (someone's idea of demonstrating "willingness and enjoyment".* The wording actually used to say "demonstrated the utmost willingness and enjoyment) so that's when you started seeing the heads up, prancy heeling.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

I'll have to look for the armband. I told our trainer that Scotty was actually picking up his DB from the ground and told her that he looked so cute running passed it and then grabing it on the way back. She told me to not do it again until she sees us because we really need to work on a good technique and what he's been doing is not all that good. We don't want it to become a habit. :P Man, this lady is tough to impress. I love her though, she's such a great trainer.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    I told our trainer that Scotty was actually picking up his DB from the ground and told her that he looked so cute running passed it and then grabing it on the way back. She told me to not do it again until she sees us because we really need to work on a good technique and what he's been doing is not all that good. We don't want it to become a habit.*
    True. You can lose points for this type of drive by pick up. You can fix it by throwing the DB against a wall so he cannot run past it.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE