First timer

Thread: First timer

raidernation is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst timer

I have entered my pup in a Obedience and Rally Workshop this Sunday. When I looked up the information on the website today I am in Novice 2.for obedience and Rally Novice. This seems like a real trial I get an arm band and so I got a bit nervous. Any advice from anyone about Obedience and Rally? I have been to only puppy headstart and now we are in puppy beginner classes. I thought workshop meant like to learn about the Rally and Obedience. My dog is 8 months old and still needs tons of work with training. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First timer

Hmmm...that does seem odd. It's possible that the arm band gives you access to one on one time with a trainer in the ring. Do you have a link to the workshop info that we can look at? You might want to call the club putting on the event to find out exactly what is expected.

The only advice I have is to keep your training sessions fun and short (15 min is plenty and you can do several short sessions each day). You want the dog to always want more, not be bored. End on a positive note (something the dog knows well). Work on only 1 or maybe 2 new things each session
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Just go for it and don't worry.*

I went to a Rally class once, and never had seen it or done it, and only had read the signs...granted Maddy has her CD already, but the teacher said just walk through and I'll help you if you get stuck.

I also go to a class that I take my male to (getting ready for his first Novice trial) and they do mock trials once a month, and even for those who have still a long way to go, it builds confidence going through the motions so that you can see EXACTLY what you need to work on.

I am sure they will be very flexible if you let them know you aren't to competition level...and use it as a chance for you to learn what to do.* Hey, I put Grace in a Sub-Novice at a match when she was 4 months....that was a sight!* She had done her puppy obedience class already, but you would never have known that!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

raidernation is offline Senior Member

http://www.mddtc.org/
    Here is the link to the workshop. If you look on the right side you will see October 15 workshop flier. This is also the place I have been training my pup since he was 5 month old.