Need help with teeter totter

Thread: Need help with teeter totter

kpowell is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed help with teeter totter

Hi! I'm kind of new to this forum, this is my second post, but I can tell you guys probably can give me some help. My super wonderful lab, Jack, is doing just fabulous in his agility classes EXCEPT for the teeter totter. He gets to the middle, crouches down, and then won't go any further unless I put a treat farther down and lower the teeter totter myself. Funny thing is that he loves to make the much smaller teeter bang. He just seems to be afraid of the "big bang." Any suggestions?
    Jack's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need help with teeter totter

a couple of things..go back to the smaller teeter and practice practice practice...on the big teeter put the table under the teeter with a dog bed or something similar on it so it doesn't bang as much..start with all the pieces of the table so that there isn't much movement to the teeter and slowly make the table smaller so the movement becomes greater til you reach the ground again..or continue to lower the teeter for him until he has the confidence...whatever you do don't rush him ..the teeter is the easies thing to lose confidence on so definitely go at his speed...it can take some time for some dogs to feel very confident on the teeter

kpowell is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much! will try as suggested!
    Jack's Mom

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_agilitymom is offline Senior Member

You can also make a wobble board to help him get used to the movement and sound. It requires a square piece of plywood and a cut piece of pvc glued to the middle of the plywood with a tennis ball in the middle. Throw on treats and get him to get on the board and wobble it. Also you can use a smaller teeter with a piece of foam or catch the end so that the teeter does not make a noise. Do you have a word that you tell him when the teeter is getting ready to drop? Here's the way I trained my dog and she loves the teeter now. I give the command teeter then at the pivot point I say easy, wait a second for the teeter to drop and treat the dog and then ask for the contact, touch and treat again. At the pivot point you can help the teeter to the ground with your hand and then give the treat and go forward to do the contact. Hope this makes sense. Don't worry too much. I have a friend with a golden who needed cheese whiz to even attempt the teeter and now we are both in excellent together. No more teeter issues.