Exercise from the hot place.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise from the hot place.......

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

DefaultExercise from the hot place.......

Last night at Obedience Class. Wow. I don't know how the trainer thinks these things up! I believe she has a streak of sadism.....

Obviously one of the things we do in this class is the Come/Front. Sam and I have worked hard on it all week and made good progress. His only problem with it is sometimes crooked sits. In the past, the trainer has had members of the class do this individually out in front of the group. I'm okay with that....... In fact, I'm actually looking forward to doing it this week as we've worked hard and I think we're going to show improvement.....

But no........here's the new wrinkle. there were 7 dogs in class last night. She lines us up like basketball players on the free throw line.
    Three of us facing the other three across a span of about 6 feet, dogs sitting in heel position. And you guessed it. Dog number 7 had to do his come/front exercise down the middle between the two rows of spectator dogs! Talk about distraction...wow. Okay, so Sam and I manage to do it. He pretty much ignores the others, holds his sit, does come, and does finish nicely. All the others also get thru it, some in various states of disarray, but thru it. you can see the relief on everyone's face when we're done. Thank the lord, this is over. Then she says, "okay, move in!" WHAT???????????? Oh yeah, we're doing it again, and this time the spectators have moved in closer to each other by about two feet. OMG, could it be any harder? Yes, it could, because when we finished that one, we moved in AGAIN, so by the third run, there was literally just a passage between the two rows of dogs!

But Sam did amazingly well. Ignored them, except for one brief nose touch on the last run!
    And he did his Stand for Exam well. We had worked on that a lot this past week also.

This is a great class! I'm a wreck each week before I go because I'm learning that I can't know what to expect and just because we did it a certain way last week and I can do it that way, doesn't mean we'll do it that way this week. Same exercise but lots of variations!

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Exercise from the hot place.......

WOW! What great distraction training!!!!! Wish I had thought of that one!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

debjen is offline Senior Member

wow..great exercise

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Well it sounds like you guys did great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    Dog number 7 had to do his come/front exercise down the middle between the two rows of spectator dogs! Talk about distraction...wow.
    Be thankful. Our trainer has the "spectators" talking, laughing, cheering, clapping, and sometimes playing with their dogs, etc while the dogs do their recall thru the middle. Later on she also puts wind up toys at either end of the recall and food in the center and the dog has to ignore them all. Sometimes she stands in the middle with food and tries to lure the dog to her. Now SHE'S evil! Essy is wonderful. She ignores them all. Murray...well Murray isn't known as a walking stomach or toy whore for nothing. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Lydia,
    OMG. I cannot imagine! I am just blown away by the idea of all that, and by dogs who can ignore it. How do you EVER get to that point? I know, just one step at a time. If you had asked me six months ago if Sam would ever be able to heel, even sort of, I would have said no.

Frances

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a fun class, and it will definitely pay off for you.

I had a trainer that insisted I put my dog in a stay and then say "Ok...lahoma". My release word is OK. Yep. Sadistic!!! ;D ;D

patm is offline Senior Member

That actually sounds like a wonderful excercise. Even the "obdedience nazi (my instructor ) hasn't thought of that one. I like the sounds of it because Emilu still has a teensy bit of trouble leaving other dogs alone.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Be thankful.* Our trainer has the "spectators" talking, laughing, cheering, clapping, and sometimes playing with their dogs, etc while the dogs do their recall thru the middle.* Later on she also puts wind up toys at either end of the recall and food in the center and the dog has to ignore them all.* Sometimes she stands in the middle with food and tries to lure the dog to her.* Now SHE'S evil!* * Essy is wonderful.* She ignores them all.* Murray...well Murray isn't known as a walking stomach or toy whore for nothing.* ;D
    We do stuff like that. Toys, food on the floor during heeling and recalls. We'll even clap and yell as if awards are begin given in another ring. Thow toys, dumbbells etc during the stays. I love the food and toys on the recall. Some dogs are such problem solvers that they go way out of their way to avoid it. Others, like Mr. Hoover that lives with me hoovered the floor the first time. After that his avoidance is just sitting there looking at me with a real pitiful look on his face! ;D I'll even hold a hot dog or a bag of potato chips and wave at the dogs as they go by heeling.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

We do the recalls like that also. Generally my kids do well, unless food is being tossed as they are actually in the recall (they can run by food on the floor, but moving food?? well....).

Another class I am in with Hoss, the instructor walks by and calls the dogs name and starts to give commands to the dog. Dog is supposed to stay focused on us.

The first week he blew what sounded like a duck call...(Hoss failed that test!). Last week we got paybacks though and he brought his shephard out and asked the whole class to start calling the dog and making whatever noises we could think of to make the dog break it's attention. The only thing that did make it break attention though was my yelping like a squished puppy! I was surprised though that when he had us do the same thing one at a time (but at a very low distraction level... everyone softly calling our dog's name), most (including Hoss) kept their atttention rivited on their owner.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Another class I am in with Hoss, the instructor walks by and calls the dogs name and starts to give commands to the dog. Dog is supposed to stay focused on us.
    Calling the dog's name isn't fair. Everything else is fair game but not the name.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast