WooHoo, Congratulate me!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WooHoo, Congratulate me!!!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultWooHoo, Congratulate me!!!

I think I made a training breakthrough this morning.....

Ruger's been having weave pole issues, making his entry and popping out at #10. We worked and worked and worked on entries this morning and he's doing a bit better there... but no matter what I did he kept popping out at #10.

Finally, I just hung back after he got the entry and didn't follow along the weaves with him and he NAILED them. The light bulb went off in MY head!!! I was inadvertantly CROWDING him. He's a big dog and just bending through the poles is hard... with me hovering beside him he had no place to go BUT to pop out!!!

Ran them a few more times with me alongside but behind and off to the side a few feet and he NAILED them each time. I just have to believe he can do it on his own without me babysitting him.

One problem solved!!!

I'm doing a happy dance ;D ;D ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: WooHoo, Congratulate me!!!

WWWWWOOOOOO! That is so awesome!! Who woulda thought!?

It's so great when we see the light bulb go off in their heads. But sometimes it's even more exciting when the light bulb goes off for us!!

I had a similar eureka last night. I am trying to teach Angus to back up (for Rally Advanced or Excellent, whichever). He will do it, but either doesn't keep his butt straight, or steps all over my feet. Last night I discovered that if I held my hand out to the side and slightly behind his head, he looks straight back at it, and goes back PERFECTLY straight!!! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I had the same issue with Murray but I was inadvertantly stepping in to him on the last pole causing him to pop out. It was a matter of me learning how to walk straight.

Didn't you have an issue with crowding the poor boy on the F8 in obedience too? You need to just trust that he knows his job. I know its hard...especially with the weaves.

All summer our trainer set up courses of some of the new agility events that are coming. One is the FAST class which has a gamble in it. I can't even remember how many times our trainer put weaves in the gamble but Murray did them every single time with me being 10' or more away from him. It was then that I realized that he didn't need me RIGHT THERE when he was weaving. ;D

Connie - another trick for the back up is to practice next to a curb so Angus can't swing his butt out. We taught Essy "get it in" specifically for pivots so she would move her butt so when we ask her to back up we remind her to get it in and that keeps her from swinging her butt out.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

That is great Linda!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! Something so simple, and yet to SOLVE the problem!

And that is a good idea about the curb. I'm going to borrow that one and see if I can stop Sam swinging to the left when he sits on the come front. I'm already using Connie's suggestion about treat at crotch level and then raising it, and that has helped some. He comes in pretty straight and then sits crooked!

Frances

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

CONGRATS!!!

debjen is offline Senior Member

Yep..sometimes we help too much..I found that out with Riley when we had problems with every weave entry at a trial we went to..figured out I was trying to "help" by showing him the entry..and he was messing it up every time..if hung back and let him find it he nailed it every time...sheesh

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Who woulda thunk. ;D

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

patm is offline Senior Member

That's wonderful! Sometimes it just a really simple thing.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

WOW a great discovery!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast