Speaking of Versatility Awards

Thread: Speaking of Versatility Awards

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpeaking of Versatility Awards

Was reading the post further down about the Versatility Award.

I really think it would be better if the AKC would change/drop the Tracking Award from the Versatility. I agree with the Obedience and Agility Award, as most all dogs can do these events, but tracking should be for the HOUND group. For the SPORTING group use Junior Hunter as the "Tracking" merit. For the SIGHT HOUNDS, use Lure Coursing, etc. I think it would show a more versatile group of dogs... and also promote what the dogs are BRED to DO.

Just my opinion. I know the AKC doesn't really care what I think

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Speaking of Versatility Awards

I think they used tracking as the third because lets face it! Any dog can track, do agillity and obedience. I think they used the three basics because any dog can do these things.

A hound can't be (well could be, but I'd question why ) trained to retrieve, a lab can't be trained to bay at coons, a Beagle couldn't herd sheep.

Tracking is an all around thing. Any dog with a nose can track, trust me, I have seen it!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think my biggest beef with tracking is that it is nearly impossible to get into a test around my area. I've had local people come flat out and tell me this. They generally only accept a small handful of entries because of the amount of land/track they need to lay.

I just didn't see the point of doing all the training and then maybe never getting to a test...

If it's that hard to be tested, the AKC should change the merits of the award, IMHO.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think that's an awesome idea!! Yeah!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Most breeds offer their own "versatility" title which is more specific to the individual breed than AKCs. AKC's versatility title represents more of an all round type of versatility vs a specialized one.

I agree that tracking trials are extremely difficult to enter. Around here they offer 1 trial per year and only 1-2 dogs get in. Unfortunately, AKC doesn't offer trials, individual clubs do so the AKC response would probably be "start your own club so you can offer more trials."
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

one other thing to do is join the existing clubs that put on the tracking trials. They can give preference to entries that are club members. Also if you are part of the club you can pressure them to put on larger trials and you can sometimes get the premium lists or info first and enter first. Or you could encourage a club you belong to to put on a trial. where there is a will there is a way.

Kelly G and Amber RN CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

Well I am in Windsor Ontario, where there is virtually zero to one percent vacant land. We have the 'Windsor All Breed Training and Tracking Club' and we don't even have a test! its a friggin tracking club (granted all the dogs are for conformation only...but its still in the name darnit!)

We have unsuccessfully entered 7 tests now, from MI to IN to flipping Alabama for frig sakes and still haven't gotten in yet. The real problem is not really the tests, but the clubs. If there was more interest in the test by members of clubs there would be more tests. How many lab clubs offer tests for just labs first like the other clubs? A german shepherd club must offer a tracking test at each specialty it seems, other breeds as well. Other then the national, I have yet to see a lab club offer this at specialties.

I think that there is a lot of merit to the TD, TDX etc. I personally think that with or without the title, it is a great thing to do with a dog. Something the dog is obviously enjoying and obviously proud of themselves about. It really is fantastic to watch a dog tracking and tracking well. I have never seen a dog as excited about obedience.

This is something I have become quite passionate about, and I can't forsee a dog in my future who is NOT tracked with. Title or not. Heck I don't know that Ruby would pass just now, but it certainly would be fun to at least try!

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    They can give preference to entries that are club members.* Also if you are part of the club you can pressure them to put on larger* trials and you can sometimes get the premium lists or info first and enter first.*
    Not here. It is strictly a lotto system so even if you are club member AND first to enter the likelyhood that you will be drawn is slim to none.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Around here we do have a number of tracking tests and the club members do not enter. Just reading the F&F for the area, I guess enough people are getting in cause there are almost always new TD's listed.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org