weekend match results (really long)

Thread: weekend match results (really long)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Defaultweekend match results (really long)

Well it was a busy weekend.* We had 2 matches.

Sat

I have my Utility dog back. * I'm so happy!* Murray was happy to be working.* He still NQd on the $&*@# recall signal though.* I don't get it.* We've used that same signal since Novice.* We use it in practice.* We get into a ring (whether a show or a match) and he looks at me like he's never seen the signal before in his life.* I've tried speeding it up, slowing it down, and even holding it.* Nope...he's never seen it.* Grrr.* I've decided I'm going to have to use a new signal...but what?

He also NQd on the gloves.* Since you aren't supposed to watch them put the gloves out, I didn't realize they didn't put them out correctly until after we had turned.* Instead of putting them a foot or so from the ring barrier, they put them in about 6' from the barrier.* Also, the middle post of the ring was not centered.* It was off by about 5' so glove #2 was about 5' closer to #3 than it should have been and #3 was about 5' closer to #2 than it should have been because it was further from the side barrier than it should have been.* There was probably 10' total between #2 and #3 vs the normal 20'.* I sent Murray for #3 but he beelined for #2.* Really after the pivot there wasn't much difference between the two since both were in his direct line of sight.* This is something else we'll need to proof for I guess.

The other exercises were awesome.* His articles were perfect.* He took his time checking and comparing every article.* It's adorable and I can't help but grin as he trots back to me as proud as a peacock because he knows he has the correct one. His moving stand was right on. His go outs were very nice and straight (unfortunately he went to the off center pole instead of exactly center but it was still OK) and he turned and sat nice and square.* His jumps were nice but he ticked the high jump.* He knocked it hard at our last show so I'm not exactly sure what is going on there.* I think I'll need to break out the cavaletti's again.

I know most of you are probably thinking "What is she so happy about? He NQd."* I'm happy because I have my dog back.* He's happy to be working.* After the last show I wasn't sure I'd ever see that again.* I don't mind NQs.* They are going to happen...especially in Utility.* As long as Murray is happy and trying, then I'm happy to be there.* When this is no longer fun for Murray we will quit.* I've always said that.

My daughter had a great day with Essy.* They got a 191 and 4th place out of 24 dogs in traditional Novice (A&B ran together). She was thrilled with the dog biscuit they won. We had lots of people come up and tell us what that Meghan and Essy are a better team than they ever were as novice A. Then they went to Rally and things went downhill pretty quickly.* I had pottied Essy while my daughter was getting her award in Novice.* They went into the Rally ring and did 2 stations before Essy had diarrhea.* My daughter was embarrassed and left the ring in tears.* The judge was nice and told her she could finish the run when she calmed down.* Everyone (including complete strangers) was so supportive of her.* They told her not to worry, it could happen to anyone.* I told her Essy had diarrhea which means her tummy is upset.* She couldn't control it.* Nothing worked so we all left my daughter alone to try to calm down (she's at the emotional/hormonal age anyway so that didn't help matters any).* I thought she would go at the end of the class but she only waited for about 3 other people before going back in...still very upset. I looked up from what I was doing and saw her already in the ring.* Grrr..* Essy could feel her stress and the run was a complete disaster.* Now my daughter was even more distraught.* I asked her what she was upset about.* She said she was upset because she has never NQd before.* I told her she needed to get used to it because it would probably happen many more times in her career.* I reminded her that she was working with an animal with its own thoughts and feelings and we couldn't control those.* I tried to get her to focus on how well they did in Novice but to no avail.* She wanted to dwell on Rally and sulked for the rest of the day.

Sun

We drove halfway to CA (not really but it sure did feel like it) to attend another match.* They didn't offer Rally at this match so we put Essy in conformation.* Big mistake.* That really wreaked havoc with obedience.* I don't think she sat once.* The run was not too bad other than the no sits but she NQd when she didn't come in close enough on the recall and she just stood there (damn conformation again).* I was worried about my daughter's attitude after yesterday's fiasco but she held it together pretty well.* I could tell she was upset with Essy though because she didn't even praise her at the end of the run.* As soon as they got out of the ring I handed her a bunch of treats and told her to praise Essy like crazy.* I explained to her that Essy was confused between conformation and obedience. We literally ran from the conformation ring straight into the obedience ring with no time in between.* The judge over heard me talking and she said "oh, that explains all the no sits." I think that made Meghan feel better.

I had the Utility experience from hell.* Oh, Murray was wonderful.* It was everything else that was a disaster.* I walked in the ring with Murray's leash and a shark line on (we are working on heeling closer so I use the shark line to remind him).* I took the leash off and the judge said this was a sanctioned match so we couldn't use the shark line.* I had forgotten it was a sanctioned match but I laughed out loud.* Why?* Where do I start.* First, the rings were horse pens complete with horse manure.* They were a maximum of 40'x40' not the 40'x50' required for outside shows.* Another competitor had just walked up to me and told me that she just judged her husband and he just judged her because they didn't have a judge for Nov B.* She ended up winning the High in Match with a 192 with a dog that normally scores in the 170s if he Qs at all.* I had no choice but to laugh out loud when the judge told me I couldn't use the shark line.

Anyway, the judge was completely incompetant.* He couldn't call a heeling pattern if his life depended on it.* He was calling "left about" and "right about." I was so confused there were several times I just stopped and looked at him.* The kicker was when he heeled me to within 5' of the ring barrier then commanded "fast".* I looked at him because I thought he was kidding.* What was I supposed to do, jump the barrier?* I don't know when they added hurdles to the signal exercise. He immediately called "normal left about."* I didn't know what the hell that meant so I turned left and he immediately called "about". I guess I was supposed to have done an about (which is right, not left for those that don't know) instead of the left but how was I supposed to know that with the commands he was calling?* He never called a slow.

Murray did his signals perfectly...ALL OF THEM. * I'm so happy!!!!!!* His articles were perfect.* He didn't retrieve glove #3 on the first command.* I had to grab his collar to send him but I was ok with it.* I know he could feel my stress at the heeling situation.* The judge then asked me if I gave him a 2nd command.* Hmmm...isn't that HIS job to notice?* I told him I gave the 2nd command and took the NQ.* I didn't really care at that point, Murray did his signals!!!* The moving stand was great.* His go outs were fast and straight again but he walked toward me before sitting...not necessarily a problem except remember the ring is 10' shorter than normal.* The judge told me Murray was too close.* I said "Murray would be too close no matter where he sits because the ring is too short."* The judge didn't like that comment so while we were arguing Murray got tired of waiting and walked into me.* Another NQ.* Again I didn't care. I was so POd at the situation I just wanted to be done. We did the go outs again and he did them fine.* I was just happy to get out there and made the mental note that I will NEVER show there again. I will also be sending a letter to the AKC to let them know what types of matches they are "sanctioning".
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: weekend match results (really long)

Don't you just love judges like that. GRRRRRR Glad your daughter and Essy had a good time. Sorry about the comformation. Keep plugging along.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Hey, you shoulda told your daughter to thank God, SHE didn't get the diarrhea!!! LOL!!!

Sounds like you had a great experience and a LOT of good practice. That judge on Sunday sounded like a complete idiot. I think you handled it very well though.

You guys NEED to always remember your CAMERA!!! We want pictures with the stories... besides, you should be doing a scrapbook for your daughter

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

And we do all this for "fun"! LOL! Boy, I do understand about not being upset with NQ--that is the way I felt about our first Utility show yesterday. Like the rest of us, we'll keep plugging.

Oh, got to love those judges!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian

You guys NEED to always remember your CAMERA!!!* We want pictures with the stories...
    I always have my camera with me but not enough hands.* I can either video or take pictures.* Video is better for teaching so that is usually what I do if I have to make a choice.* Sat Meghan and I were both first in the ring (at the same time) so I didn't get any video of me. I had a friend tape Meghan so* I could at least see how she did.* Unbeknownst to me Meghan watched the video later that day and then rewound it instead of leaving it at the end.* We taped over her Sat run with the Sun run.* I was not a happy camper.* Again, we were both in the ring at the same time on Sun.* My friend stood at one end of the rings and taped both rings at the same time.* I owe her a lunch or something.*

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Hey, you shoulda told your daughter to thank God, SHE didn't get the diarrhea!!! LOL!!!
    HA!!! ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I love reading your stories. I feel like I learn a lot from the way you relate your experiences.

Poor Meghan. Bless her heart, that's a really horrible thing to happen. I would be mortified too! Sounds like she rebounded the next day, though. What a trooper!

Murray sounds like he is doing great! ;D But that judge! What a weiner!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever