Lydia or Anyone

Thread: Lydia or Anyone

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultLydia or Anyone

I must be tired from this weekend. I forgot the most important part of her method. She thinks we talk way too much to our dogs. She made us be quiet when we were doing an exercise and the dog was doing it right. If the dog did something incorrectly, all she wanted us to do was to physically, but gently, correct them. At the end of the correction, we were supposed to tell them what a good job they had done. This is where the praise came in.
    EX: Teaching Sit/Stay We're assuming the dog knows sit/stay but doesn't told the stay.

Put the dog in a sit/stay. When the dog moves, give a pop with the leash and say sit or stay (your choice) and tell them good sit/stay. We're not allowed to do it with an angry voice. Then she wants us to put our hands on them and as she calls it, savor the moment with a rub or a pat to the dog. She feels we're to quick to move on after a correction. Sovor the moment of compliance with the dog. When they move, we aren't allow to go AUGH or AUGH AUGH or NO. We can only say sit or stay and good sit/stay.

It worked so well. The dogs rebounded better in attitude because they hadn't gotten a voice correction as well as a physical reaction.

Another example. This girl was working a BC with a UD. He started to turn to early on the go out. Debbie said no to the dog and was getting ready to give another command, when the dog moved from the middle stantion to the next one over to the right. The instructor told her she should have said nothing to the dog, walked straight to the dog, taken him by the collar and lead him to where she wanted him to sit and tell him to sit and praise him. By doing it her way, she knew the dog had pulled up short, but the dog thought he was being corrected for being at the wrong stantion so he moved to where HE thought he was supposed to be. Chris said we have to be positive the dog understands what it's being corrected for. What we're correcting for might not be what the dog thinks we're correcting for. She says we're lazy about walking out and correcting. We'd rather try to do it from a distance.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lydia or Anyone

Interesting about the go out correction. It makes sense though.

I will say that one of the strongest benefits of using an ecollar is that it takes all of the emotion out of training. I've never had to yell or yank on a leash, etc. My corrections are always given with my normal tone of voice.

We run silent in agility a lot. The dog takes the cues from our body language only. Their ability to read body language is really so amazing.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

That's what Chris said. They understand our body language much better than our words. We communicate with words. Dogs communicate physically.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Again, sorry I missed this seminar. Debbie said she may plan another one since there was quite a bit of interest. So I hope so.

Did Chris give any advice for dogs that lag in the heel?

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I do so agree that they understand body language better than voice tones! If I have to correct Caleb I often don't say anything at this point in time. I also tell my advanced students that they talk too much to their dogs. Dogs, like people will begin to tune the noise out!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Yep, she sure did. Check out of one the other posts here about the seminar. Also, talk to Caroline. You know how badly Sabrina lags? Well, she cured that problem in 15 minutes. Also, helped Luna out so much. She really helped me with Buddy's forging. He has quit.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The only thing I see about heeling is where she had the person (I'm thinking Luna) remove the food and pop the leash and drag the dog around. Fine. But this isn't the problem with Ruger. The problem is in the show ring. At home I can pop a leash and have no food til the cows come home... what can you do when your dog fails in the ring??? That is the main problem I'm having.

Also, did she say anything about building confidence in them for go-outs etc?? I'm curious.

Linda Garrett said she enjoyed the seminar.

Guess I'll continue doodling and change paces, etc...

She said if they refuse to go out for any reason that you take them by the collar and let them out.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    She said if they refuse to go out for any reason that you take them by the collar and let them out.
    Even with the method Mike and Linda MacDonald teaches, that is one of the corrections.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org