Grinning From Ear to Ear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinning From Ear to Ear

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrinning From Ear to Ear

;D I went to the first day of a 2 day obedience seminar today.* Chris Elliot started the day by having each of us do run throughs of the class we're working on.* This way she could get an idea of where we were and what problems we were having.* I was almost embarrassed to go.* I honestly haven't worked Buddy in Obedience all summer.*

Heeling was normal - Buddy always wants to forge.* His signals need work.* Some how in our warmup outside, I blew his mind and really confused him.* He was very unsure on these.* This is unusual for the signals

Articles - HE DID THEM WITHOUT ANY MISTAKES.* I was blown away.* He got both articles on just my scent.* *;D ;D ;D

Gloves - PERFECT - He had to retrieve glove #2 which is our hardest glove.

Moving Stand - He did well.* I messed up a little.

Go Outs - Once Chris correct my mistake in how I was cueing him for this command.* He did both parts without a mistake.*

I'm so proud of him.* Chris has shown me how to correct Buddy's forging on the heel.* It's amazing how fast he caught on.* We might get a UD on him after all.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Grinning From Ear to Ear

Chris has shown me how to correct Buddy's forging on the heel
    Please share .......... Kona forges alot and I do alot of Left turns into him to keep him back in position.

Sounds like we all will be going for our UD's on our boys!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

First off she said rarely do right hand turns with him. She had me doing TIGHT U-turns instead of about turns. By TIGHT, I mean TIGHT. My feet barely moved. He had to learn to back up to get out of my way. For right turns, she had me doing TIGHT 270s, almost like pivots. He learned very quickly not to encircle my legs. Since he knows the back up from Rally, she would have us heeling straight, and then start heeling backwards. Sometimes we'd heel backwards across the ring. She also told me (I had already figured this out myself and stopped doing it) not to use food in training unless I was teaching something completely new. By the time she was finished with our heeling lesson, Buddy was doing so much better. He was not forging around my knees hardly at all.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I've been doing some about u turns (to left) but I can tighten them up. 270 left sounds good for the right turns. Thanks for the ideas.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Just remember that you don't want them turning. You want to do the turns so tight that your dog is backing up to turn. This backing up keeps them in the correct heel position rather than forging ahead.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

patm is offline Senior Member

She also told me (I had already figured this out myself and stopped doing it) not to use food in training unless I was teaching something completely new)

Why is this? I know of course that you can't use treats in the ring, and I am trying to wean Emilu from using so many treats as a reward - but this sounds like they really don't want to use treats after the dog knows the command. What is the reasoning?

Some dogs learn very quickly that outside the ring = treats, and inside the ring = no treats. To some dogs, no treats = no work, and they will shut down. She said most dogs, especially Labs, will get poor attitudes in the ring when the food is withheld. You have to rely on other forms of praise that you can use between exercises. Best to stop the treats before there is a problem.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Wow, that's great!! I have found sometimes that when we go for a period and don't do anything, Angus has a renewed interest and enthusiasm, and sometimes seems to actually do better. I am thinking my policy is going to be, no training for a few days before a trial.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Monnie - that sounds like a great seminar and it sounds like Buddy did a great job showing off his skills too.

I've always used a lot of the Rally exercises (called doodling to us old timers) in obedience training.* There is no rule that says you must only do an L heeling pattern when training for obedience.* I think that's where a lot of the newbies mess up.* They don't know they can be creative in their teaching methods.* No wonder they all think "heeling is boring"

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    I am thinking my policy is going to be, no training for a few days before a trial.
    That is what I do with Murray.* I figure he knows the stuff by the time I enter a trial or I wouldn't be entering.* He isn't going to improve in the few days before the trial and I might actually break something (much more likely).* He is dying to work for me by the time the trial rolls around. * Every dog is different though so you really have to know your dog.* One of my training buddies has to train her dog every single day or the dog "forgets"(not really but the dog wants you to THINK she forgets).

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    First off she said rarely do right hand turns with him.* She had me doing TIGHT U-turns instead of about turns.* By TIGHT, I mean TIGHT.* My feet barely moved.* He had to learn to back up to get out of my way.* For right turns, she had me doing TIGHT 270s, almost like pivots.* He learned very quickly not to encircle my legs.* Since he knows the back up from Rally, she would have us heeling straight, and then start heeling backwards.* Sometimes we'd heel backwards across the ring.* She also told me (I had already figured this out myself and stopped doing it) not to use food in training unless I was teaching something completely new.* By the time she was finished with our heeling lesson, Buddy was doing so much better.* He was not forging around my knees hardly at all.*
    That is a great tool for forging and better turns. Helps with Rally, too. That is how I got Caleb to quit cutting the corner on his left turns in the ring.

Again, at our level of training food should be a reward not a bribe. Reward at the end of the session with toy or food. I don't always give Caleb food at the end either. Sometimes we'll play!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast