Chris Elliot Seminar

Thread: Chris Elliot Seminar

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultChris Elliot Seminar

I'm going to a Chris Elliot Obedience Seminar this weekend. I'm hoping to pick up some ideas for overcoming our Futility problems. LOL I'll let y'all know how it went.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chris Elliot Seminar

Yes...please take notes. I can use all the help I can get too.

Hey, if you get the chance please ask what the solution is for a dog who has been using the same recall signal since Nov only to look at you like you've grown a 2nd head when you use it in the Utility ring. j/k
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Oh, Lydia. She addressed that with everything. She said it's a lack of comittant on the dog's part. They have learned that in that situation you can't make them. She says you have to train to it and through it. You have to keep doing repetitions until the dog displays the behavior in this case refusing the signal. Then you can address the issue and make the dog comply. She doesn't care at this point about the dog's attitude. Only compliance. She feels that we rely too much on treats. The dog learns to do the command for a treat. In the ring there are no treats, so why work. She said the dog has to learn that not doing a command is not an option. She doesn't worry about the attitude suffering until she gets compliance. When the dog will do what it's told, when it's told no matter if they want to or not, then she reintroduces food as a reward for a job well done. It was amazing to watch. She worked with a dog that refused to heal unless the owner had food. At first the dog said I'm not heeling without food. The owner said yes you are and dragged the dog around the ring with short pops on the lead. The dog was fighting all the way. Finally the dog began heeling in the proper position, but you could tell she wasn't happy about it at all. Once she was heeling in the proper position without being popped, Chris allowed the owner to reintroduce food as a reward. The dog's attitude came right back. Took the food away again. The dog refused but not for as long and with a better attitude. After a few of these sessions of you're going to heel whether I have treats or not just because I have told you to heel, the dog was heeling better than ever. It was amazing to watch. She would tell you that Kona isn't committed to the recall. It's a test to see which of you has the stronger will. Make him comply. Make him realize it isn't an option to refuse, and you'll have solved your problem.
    She said my problem with Buddy's creeping on the signal exercise and on the sit on the Go Out, is a lack of committant to the down (drop). He thinks not doing it just like I want is an option. This is where it's my fault because I don't correct instantly EVERYTIME I don't get an instant down. She says I need to go back and reteach the down and insist that he do them instantly.
    I hope this makes sense. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to address them.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I do so agree that we too often are bribbing our dogs rather than rewarding. I will often go through a whole work session without giving Caleb any food. He is rewarded at the end (like at a show). I tell my advanced students that they need to quit bribbing their dogs to do what they want. When I command I expect them to do it (gee, is that why it is called a command?!) I will use food to shape new behavior but I work on radomizing as soon as possible. I ask my students, who is in charge, the dog or them?! Sounds like it was really good!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Susan, it was a great seminar. I can't wait to put some of this stuff into practice.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie