Here's an agility poser for you folks...

Thread: Here's an agility poser for you folks...

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultHere's an agility poser for you folks...

How, on God's Green Earth, is it possible that a dog running flat out and taking three jumps in a row, knows when you (40 feet behind him) do a rear cross and switch sides, to pull him to the last jump which is slightly off the line?

I was slow on the rear cross during the first try as I honestly thought I had lost him completely.. my coach insisted I try again, and do the rear cross no matter how far ahead he was, and BINGO he got the third jump, on the second and third tries.

Psychic-agility?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Here's an agility poser for you folks...

Not at all, dogs can sense and see movements we can't. Despite your dog being out ahead of you, he was still watching you. The better you get as a team, the more intuitive the moves become for the dog, and YOU too.

debjen is offline Senior Member

I think I've read where dogs have about 270 degrees of peripheral vision..so they can see behind them much better than we can.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

they can also hear your movements to some extent. there are some foxes that will hunt mice and shrews that are moving along under a foot of snow. They can't see the prey but can locate it entirely by hearing and make accurate leaps even adjusting after they are in the air. Dogs being pack animals need to know where all members of the pack are when in a hunt and chasing down prey so I am sure that us 2 footed clumsey pack members are pretty easy to hear and see move.

Kelly G and Amber RN CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />