Silly Newbie Agility Question

Thread: Silly Newbie Agility Question

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSilly Newbie Agility Question

OK, this is really random, but I was just wondering:

How do you get the dogs to go really fast? ;D

We are in the stages of learning the obstacles at this point, so of course we're not concentrating on speed. But I was just out back watching the boys chase each other around the yard. Man! If I could capture THAT in Simon and bring it to the agility ring, whoa!

You know, you see these dogs on TV racing around the courses at top speed. I'm just wondering, how much of that is the dog's personality, and how much of that can you develop and encourage? How do you make them want to do it as fast as they can? Or can you?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Silly Newbie Agility Question

Talk to me in a year or two about Sophie. Right now I've just started training her to 'go table' and for a 12 week old, she's going super fast.

Some of the 'drive' building exercises my MAD ( AAC masters agility dog ) friend has suggested:

-restrained recalls on the flat or over obstacles (have a friend restrain the dog - you go a few feet away or to the other side of an obstacle. Both you and the friend rev the dog up either physically or verbally, and then release them to either come to you or complete the obstacle.

-make the dog work for his dinner. Set up a jump or a set of weaves in the hallway, with a portion of his dinner at the end. The dog has to complete a series of jumps, or 2 or 3 correct sets of weave poles, before it gets that portion of its dinner. Split the dinner into three or four portions, and I bet your dog will be firing over the jumps by the end.

-tug games are great for building excitement during training.
    if the dog isn't tug motivated, try the food tubes you can toss.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

A lot of it will come with confidence/experience. Once the dog knows what is expected, he will naturally speed up.

I know I had this concern with Essy just a few months ago. It's been a LONG time since Murray was a new agility dog so I was surprised to see how slow and methodical Essy worked in the beginning. The trainer reminded me "this is all new to her. She'll speed up as she gains confidence." Well we didn't officially train all summer...just met occasionally and put the dogs on some obstacles. The new classes started last week. Essy is a speed demon now. She remembered all of the obstacles and was crazy fast on some of the sequences the trainer put together.

A good motivator is the ball. Do an obstacle toss the ball. This is particularly helpful with the weaves. Murray's weaves sped up tenfold when I started rewarding with a ball. ;D

Oh and the retained recall is AWESOME. I wish I could get that enthusiasm transferred over to obedience.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

alot of it will come with confidence but some dogs may never speed up..Riley is a rather slow dog..but he is consistent..we have a lot of blue ribbons because he went around the course cleanly tho not very fast and would be the only clean run..then again we have a few 2-4 or just the green ribbon because he went cleanly but their were other dogs faster them him...fast dogs are nice if you want to run at the top echelons but I've rather liked my slow and steady dog..I now have a fast dog and am having to relearn some things for him..LOL

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I love the restrained recall idea!

I also can appreciate the value of slow and steady. Simon has that kind of potential, for sure. He's very reliable under most all circumstances so far.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

HA, my hubby put Hudler through agility. He did well and seemed to like it, but a tortoise could have beat him he was so slow. Some dogs just aren't cut out for rocket speeds!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I agree, speed comes with confidence. I never thought Ruger would be that fast, now he is doing much faster on course.

Magnum was never that fast but she was very very consistant and we'd usually Q an place 1st. Fast dogs usually make more mistakes so you end up losing time on course or not Qing.

There are a LOT of handler moves you will learn too to help shave seconds off your run time.