Bad, bad handler!

Thread: Bad, bad handler!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultBad, bad handler!

Last night I was practicing stays with Angus at the club. It became crystal clear at the Show n Go that* he needs a lot of work with these, so several times I put him here or there, in a sit or a down, and had him stay.

Towards the end of the night, after our Rally class, I had him in a down stay while I helped the instructor organize her signs to put away. One of the other girls in the class had put her dog in a crate, and on her way back by, she leaned down to pet Angus while he was in a stay.

First of all, she should really know better than this.* ??? I would expect a newbie might not, but it is considered pretty basic etiquette at the club that, if you see a dog lying down and no owner is nearby, leave them the h*ll alone!* They are in a stay, they are not just hanging out there for no reason! She's been going there almost as long as we have, so I really would have expected her to know this.

But, here's where I did the wrong thing:

My eyes got like this when she did it:* I said quietly, "Good stay, Angus." She looked up at me like, "Oh, I didn't know he was in a stay..." Then she proceeded to bend back down and love on him some more!* :

Of course he broke after a few seconds. DUH!

If I had a brain in my head, I would have released him as soon as she bent over, to prevent him from making a mistake. Bad bad bad handler!!!* :-[

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bad, bad handler!

Hind sight is always 20-20!!

I have, on occaision had people do that to Belle. The people always feel real small and bad when I corrected Belle in no uncertain terms for breaking a stay. The people usually do not make the same mistake twice! (Belle though may well have been further in her training than Angus at the time, so I could get on her for breaking a stay).
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Karen, I felt double-awful about this, because just knee-jerk, the first thing I said when he broke was "Eh eh!" Then I could just SEE the confusion in his eyes. He started to get up, but knew he wasn't supposed to, and he just had this look on his face like, "Help?" :-\ Poor guy. So I walked over and said to him, "Oh Angus, that was just too much, wasn't it? That's OK honey." And we did it again, and I made sure he was successful and made a big deal over him.

She got the point, I think. I felt bad for Angus. I just wish I would have released him and not put him in such a difficult position to begin with.

Connie and "The Boys":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

That happened to us at the trial last weekend. Maddy was on a sit with the chair and my stuff while I bought her a toy and a lady and her kid walked by and talked to her, I don't know if she was patted or not, but when I saw her standing, I told her to sit! And the lady says to her kid, oh let's move away she was supposed to be sitting. So it wasn't too bad, the lady didn't know...and no problems.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

In my competition classes I actually proof with stuff like that. Rather than be afraid of a situation I rather work through it. I will even have the handlers go up to about six feet in front of the dogs kneel down and say "whoopee" etc. Why? Here is a real situation. A friend of mine and her Goldern were in the ring working and I did not realize it. On the heel free she wanted to come visit me. Then on her long down I was warming up Caleb for our time in the ring. This show site is very small so you don't miss much of anything. Bottom line, I work my dogs through all these type of situations. When they are on a down, they are on a down no matter what. What if there is a clap of thunder and a gust of wind that shakes the building while you are on stays (actually happened!). With the confusion, I would have just gone back and clarified the stay command and not made a big deal of it. If you are around this long enough, worse will happen. Trust me! I would have thanked that person for showing me another area that needs worked on and taken that great training opportunity and worked through with the dog. I do go up to my student's dogs and talk to them, wave food in front of their faces, etc when they are on down stays. Stay means stay no matter what is going on. Just clarify for the dog. Not a big deal either way.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Susan, I will proof him on that kind of stuff, for sure. I'm just not sure he is ready at this point to have such big temptations...he is barely staying with NOTHING going on! Staying through someone throwing herself at him...might have been a little much for him at this point He was doomed to fail on that one. I would like to get him fairly solid on this before I start in with the "whoopees" from other people. He's just so shaky at this point. But, I did as you said, and just clarified for him, started over, and thanked him very kindly for doing it the second time.

Connie and "The Boys":

patm is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't have thought of releasing him either. Emilu is good on the "official" down/stay in class, but the other night we had them in a long sit, then down stay as other people worked on their dumbbell throws in front of the dogs (although halfway across the room). After about 15 minutes this was too much for Emilu who kept watching the dumbbell go back and forth. She would stand up and slowly start to walk towards me - like she stood up, and then realized she probably shouldn't have, but then didn't know what to do. She is also a sucker for anyone talking nice to her and offering their hand. I always feel sorry for the labs because we have to correct them for just being polite and friendly to someone - it is so in their nature.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I train two exercises that help. In addition to the stand for exam we do a sit for exam and a down for exam. I started all the "exams" on leash standing next to the dog (or in front for the down) and gradually increase distance to leash length and then to lite line then no line. but a sit for exam should be a nobrainer for a dog that can do a stand for exam and the correction is easier to make on a sit.
    Always proof your dog for every conceivable distraction and even for the ones that will never happen because it builds up the dogs confidence in knowing that as long as they stay everything will be fine and great.
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Here's a really tough proofing exercise. After your dog knows the exercise and the release word (in my case it is OK) then say the work OKlahoma!! and see if your dog breaks. Yep. Ruger did it every time at first. But it didn't take him long to realize he had to LISTEN more carefully

[email protected]! That's pretty good! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":