Which obedience class should I enroll Henry in??

Thread: Which obedience class should I enroll Henry in??

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhich obedience class should I enroll Henry in??

Hi everyone!*

I'm looking at some formal obedience classes for Henry at Western Lakes Training Club of Buffalo, but I'm not sure which class is better for him.

He has had puppy kindergarten, and basic obedience classes (geared for the well-mannered family dog), as well as our experience in novice rally.

Their Beginner on Lead session (9 weeks) teaches heel, sit & sit/stay, down & down/stay, stand for exam and recall/finish.

Their Advanced Beginners (8 weeks) "perfects the basic exercise performance, including working off leash with the dog moving freely and under complete control. This 8 week class is especially helpful for anyone intending to eventually enter obedience trials. Starts the dog for CD title competition".

I think he would be fine in Advanced Beginners, except he doesn't know stand for exam, and I'm not sure about how well/proofed his sit/stays and down/stays are... :-\

What do you all think??

Thanks, in advance!*
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Which obedience class should I enroll Henry in??

Hmmm. Not sure.

I think I am inclined to say start with the beginner one. You might be a little more advanced than some of the people, but that will only make you feel smarter! 8) And it's been a while for him, right? Might be a good refresher.

I have taken Level 3 three times so far with Angus. We probably will not do it again, as I've kinda gotten into privates now. Private LESSONS! But each instructor was a little different, so we learned something from all, and I felt like it was worth repeating to get everything down cold. So, I don't think it's a bad idea to take a class where you already know most of the stuff.

I guess you could always go and watch a class, talk to the instructor, maybe even take Henry and show them where he is, and see what they say?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would do the beginner one. Training is a life-long thing, so you might as well take your time and enjoy the classes and bonding with Henry. Some of the basics can be hard to perfect, so if you can get a class that just focuses on that, I say Go Fo It. Take the next one next time around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I'd take the Advanced Beginners class, especially if it is oriented for competition. You will learn stand for exam and proofing. As Jen said, trainng is life long, especially for competition. You may well have to take it several times (I have taken our competition classes with my pups several times). There can be some "bad" habits taught in a non-competition class oriented toward the 'family' dog that need to be untaught if you do get serious about the higher levels of obedience.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

There can be some "bad" habits taught in a non-competition class oriented toward the 'family' dog* that need to be untaught if you do get serious about the higher levels of obedience.
    Oh boy, is that ever true : I have said a thousand times, I wish I had done this or that different in the beginning. I am assisting a Level 1 class with my friend now, and one of the things we talked about is learning "bad" habits that have to be unlearned. I said we should ask if anyone has ANY intention, any inkling at all, that they might want to do obedience later. It would make such a difference in how we coach.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever