MAYBE going to take a rally class

Thread: MAYBE going to take a rally class

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

DefaultMAYBE going to take a rally class

Sam and I are finishing a Basic II class and the trainer asked if anyone would be interested in a basic rally class. Novice. She explained what was involved and it sounded like fun to me. There are only three others in this Basic II class and none of them looked especially interested, so she may not get enough to make it worth doing for her. But I'm hoping. I live in a small town and not much of this kind of thing is available here.

And our Advanced Class last night went well enough. The trainer in that class has "demoted" everyone back to a 6 foot leash on recalls. Said they were all sloppy, some of the dogs didn't even come, very few sat "pretty", etc. She said it was back to the basics!

I'm learning a lot already in that class (last night was our second night) about the "rules" for obedience. For instance, I didn't know that a sit cancelled the previous command, and that you were then allowed to give it again. So, in figure eights, every time he sits, I should then re-command Sam, heel, when we are directed forward again. The trainer said he was lagging just a bit when I started because he had no warning that we were going. I had thought I could only say heel once.

And I'm learning what double commands are. Didn't even know there were such things!

I can see that there are some BIG gaps in my education........ :-[

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: MAYBE going to take a rally class

It sounds like a wonderful class. I'm glad to hear that your trainer is so thorough.

As for Rally, you might consider taking a private with her just to learn the correct performances of the signs. You can work on Rally on your own for the most part. It's bascially what us old timer's call doodling and it's how we train for traditional obedience.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

debjen is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good class...Rally is fun..hope you get to do it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good class to me too. If you can get into the rally class, do it, because it will help reinforce all the commands and actions you are now learning. But don't worry if you can't, because if you can accomplish standard competetive obedience, you can pass rally with no practice what so ever. We just did.

Yup, any time you have halted and sit, you can take off with a "Heel" command again. But after practice, your dog will know that when your left leg moves, they need to move.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    * But don't worry if you can't, because if you can accomplish standard competetive obedience, you can pass rally with no practice what so ever.*
    Be careful. That isn't necessarily true. I know a lot of the advanced level traditional obedience competitors who can't make it thru a simple novice course

Many "trainers" now just teach a typical L heeling pattern to their classes (forward, halt, forward, left, fast, normal, about, slow, normal, right, halt). If they don't doodle, they'll never make it thru rally. You have to know both finishes, most people only teach one, and your dog may or may not sit at the end (not a traditional finish by any means). You have to get a dog to front from heel (sometimes while heeling, sometimes while sitting in heel). They never do this in traditional and may not have ever seen it unless you train with someone who teaches front from anywhere. You have to get a dog to down from standing, most traditional dogs only know how to down from a sit. You have to know when you can move your feet and when you can't. You have to know when to retry an exercise. You have to be able to follow a course. Often times, none of this stuff is taught in a traditional class so I would never tell someone they could pass rally with no practice what so ever.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Well, I guess you are right...but I just know from the classes that I have attended (in 2 different states) that we did cover all the exercises required, at least for Rally Novice. I suppose not all classes are as progressive. Come to think of it, I see alot of people doing really sloppy Left 360/270's....I suppose I was lucky being taught by an anal teacher! ;D

I never thought too much about what we learned, just that they were things necessary for obedience and when I compared them to what I needed for Rally, I knew Maddy knew all the exercises.

Granted now that we are starting Advanced and looking forward to Excellent there are definately things that we need work on. Moving Stand for one. Standing without touching dog. But these were things my original trainer did mention to us, but we just never mastered.

patm is offline Senior Member

I have been doing "traditional " obedience for a year with Emilu. We aren't quite ready for a "prime-time" obedience competition yet, but have started showing in Rally. Never had any classes in it, but I bought the book "Rally-O" which has been invaluable! In a way it is easier because Novice is all on leash, you can talk to, and encourage your dog, but it's a little harder in the ways already explained - lots more things to do and possibly screw up on - especially by the human! But more forgiving if your dog doesn't sit or heel perfectily. You DO need to know when you need to pause at the end of certain signs, when to stop and have your dog sit at the end of something and when to keep going. I really like it so far - this weekend will tell - going to go after our second and hopefully third leg and titile this weekend! I have been concentrating on practicing Rally stuff with EMilu - while it includes a lot of basic obedience, I praise her more and use more signals and commands during it than traditional obedience, so she'll have to "unlearn" this part when we go for our obedience title.