The good, the bad, and the really ugly.

Thread: The good, the bad, and the really ugly.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe good, the bad, and the really ugly.

We're back from the show. It is such a nice facility. They have 2 baseball fields with conformation on one and obedience/rally on the other. Unfortunately, they had just sodded the obedience field (ie lots of really good, intense smells).

Rally

Sat, Essy didn't take her nose off the ground once. Meghan ended up dragging her around the rally novice course. They got a 70 and their first really ugly Q.

Sun was much better. Meghan made sure she had and kept Essy's attention. They had to redo one station and finished with a 95 and a second Q. That's more like the team I know and love.

Utility

I was extremely proud of Murray on Sat. He was working really well. Even though we NQ 2 exercises, we only lost 6 ˝ pts other wise so I was very pleased overall. He NQd on the signals when he forgot what the recall signal was (he did this once before in the Prescott match). He also NQd on the directed jumping. They had the ring number on a huge 12' pole in the left corner of the ring so that’s where he did his go out to. Then he started sniffing the new sod, forgot what he was doing and started walking toward me so I gave a 2nd command to sit. The 2nd go out was the same thing except since he was sitting in the far left corner, he completely missed the jump on the right side of the ring (he came down the middle). I guess I need to practice that scenario. : His articles were incredible. He found the correct article immediately both times but decided to check every other article just to be sure. I love that he is so thorough. ;D His gloves were good too except he decided at the last second not to release it. It’s pretty funny to watch it on video as I start to take the glove and he suddenly clamps down so my hands slip off empty. I swear I saw him grin at me…the brat. There were 3 qualifiers out of 15. After everyone left we practiced the recall and the go outs (outside the ring of course) and he did them perfectly. I thought we’d have a good day on Sun. I was really only worried about the go outs.

Sun was crappy. There is no other way to say it. I decided to practice the signals before going in the ring. Murray started refusing to down or to come. He looked at me like he'd never seen them before. : We got in the ring and his heeling sucked…very laggy. They were tearing down the ring next to us while we were in the ring (we were the next to last dog for the day...all other rings were done and most everyone had already gone home). The heel pattern brought us almost to the ring gate for a halt then it was one quick step and an about turn. Murray stopped and looked at the people watching us on the about turn so I had to give a verbal to get him back up to me. He did the stand nicely then decided to do the down signal but not the sit. I had to give a verbal. He also didn’t do the recall…another verbal AND he WALKED all the way in. Grrr. > Articles were good except he didn’t go on the 1st send command so I had to smack him on the back of the head to get his attention (it was a light tap but I really considered whacking him ). Gloves were good. Moving stand was good. The first go out was good (straight) but he ticked the bar jump. The 2nd go out was back to the corner again, I had to give a 2nd sit command then he crashed the high jump really hard (I think he hit it with his chest) but it didn't fall. I was worried he might have gotten injured since it didn’t fall but he seems OK. The judge was great. She kept telling me to double signal him, etc. whatever to get him to do his job. I really appreciated that. There was only 1 qualifier out of 15.

Afterwards many people told me Murray didn't look that bad. Maybe to the outsider it may not have looked too bad (or maybe they were just being nice) but I thought it was horrible. I didn't have MY dog. Murray was not himself and he was not even half heartedly trying. He just wasn’t there mentally. I have no idea what put him in such a funk either. We were there at 8 both days and showed at 2:30 (instead of 11:55) because the class was running late. I did take him out numerous times to potty, stretch his legs and play but maybe it was just too long to wait around. :-\

He will get a couple of days off then we are back to training for an upcoming match. I have to decide if I'm entering the Oct shows or not.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The good, the bad, and the really ugly.

Well a big congrats to your daughter and Essy. Is that their title then or do they need one more leg?

Murray... Murray... Murray We still luv ya boy. Lydia, it will come. I think it sounds like he had a really good run on Saturday. Just keep trying to take him different places to practice, that's what I have to do with Ruger. I am so not ready for our first Utility, but thankfully I have a bit of time yet (Thanksgiving weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Is that their title then or do they need one more leg?
    They just need 1 more leg.

Just keep trying to take him different places to practice, that's what I have to do with Ruger.

We have about 15 different places we train and we've been doing really well in the matches so I don't think that is the issue. This is something I haven't seen before with him so it has me worried. He is taking allergy shots and we just recently went to once/month. He got his shot on Fri before we left for Prescott. He seemed fine on Fri and Sat so I don't know if a reaction could be delayed by that much time or not.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh wow! Well, you know I'm not very experienced at this, but I will tell you what I thought as I read:

I think we often do think it is much worse than it really was. I see every tiny flaw in Angus' performances. But other people come up and tell me what a wonderful job he just did. Here's a good example: I was videotaping my friend with the IW at the Show n Go yesterday. When she left the ring I asked her if she wanted to see it, and she was like, "Um, naaah. Maybe later." I could tell she thought she wasn't going to like what she saw. I showed it to her as we were leaving, and she was like, "Oh! Well, that did look pretty good!" We had a little conversation about how we always think it's much worse than it actually is. I guess we know their full potential, and when they don't live up we KNOW it!

And I know Murray is much more experienced and show-savvy than Angus, but that really does sound like a lot of time to just wait around. I know we waited a similar amount of time in Huntsville, in the scorching heat, and by the time we went in Angus was decidedly NOT in the game. I was like, "Who are you and what have you done with my dog?" He was DONE! So, maybe it was just that.

I love your story about Essy never lifting her nose. haha! Oh, I'm sure that was really NOT funny to Meghan at the time. It sounds just like something Angus would be capable of. But hey, they Q'd! And what a comeback the next day!

Well, I always enjoy reading your stories! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Lydia, do you really think it's related to his allergy shot?

I did not know about the allergy shot... and as I read the initial post my first thought was "confidence" problem. It came across to me that Murray was just needing a confidence boost. Ruger gets that way at times... won't do things I know he knows... and usually it's because he's feeling a little less confident about things.

Just my 2 cents worth I'm sure you'll get Murray back on track!

Lydia, do you really think it's related to his allergy shot?
    I doubt it but I really have no idea what it is. That was the only thing I could come up with. I guess it could be a confidence issue however he didn't give me his normal lack of confidence posture. His demeanor is very different when he loses confidence. I call it his Eeyore look...head down, tail down, woe is me...ya know the look. He was just acting like he didn't want to be there. His brain was definitely somewhere else. I don't think he was blowing me off either. He just wasn't there mentally.

I'm sure you know your dog. It's weird. I hope it's just a temporary set back and that he'll be back in fine form soon!

It Utility is anything like Open was for me... well, I'm in for one heck of a ride. In Open it seemed we'd get one thing fixed and then something else would come unglued

debjen is offline Senior Member

Just remember that like us they can have an off day or a day where they really don't feel like working..I know at the agility match we were at a couple of weekends ago Riley and I just weren't in sync..I don't know if it was me or him but either I wasn't giving good directions or he wasn't following directions becuase we stunk and this was after a really good workout a few days befire..so I chalked it up to an off day or a day he didn't feel like doing it and trying not to over analyze it..and our next workout was pretty good.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Lydia, glad that your daughter got two legs! That is nice. It is hard with new sod! WOW!

Sorry about Murray! I know we all say that is why so many quit with Open. Utility is hard. Someone once counted just how many ways there were to NQ in Utility. Too many for me to want to remember! Might not ever know what was with Murray! Perhaps he just had an off day. They certainly get those!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org