Show n Go today!

Thread: Show n Go today!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultShow n Go today!

Well, well, we had an obedience Show n Go today with Mr. Angus. And he did...GREAT! Mostly.*

Today I decided to just go for it, the whole way. Just like a show. Just to see what happened.

The big scary part of this for me was off-leash heeling.*

Mr. Angus so impressed those who were watching, several of them came up and made comments on how great his heeling was! EVEN OFF LEASH!* * * Felicia, I thought about what you said about your instructor that time telling you all to just trust your dogs.*

I got my friend to videotape it, and I watched it several times. It seems like he's still swinging his butt out a bit on the halts, but otherwise I thought he did pretty well. I wish I could figure out how to post the video so you all could watch it and give me some feedback. Oh, his Figure Eight looks SO good on video! Much better than I imagined! He is really solid on this one...watches me the entire time, slows down at the right times, speeds up at the right times. Yay Angus!

There is now, then, just one thing holding us back from a CD: Sits and downs.* :

I was going to go the length of the ring, but chickened out at the last minute and only went halfway. He made it through the sit, but the downs just do him in.

I think he could do it better if we were all running around him, or throwing balls past him, or something interesting. I swear I do. I've seen him do stays at the club with LOTS of action going on. Last week he held a stay when Willie the Irish Wolfhound decided to come romping over to me to say hello. Let me tell you, a 150 pound Irish Wolfhound coming your way is a BIG distraction. He never budged.

I think he gets bored. This is probably my fault. I think I tend to like the "active" parts of training more and, to tell the truth, I get a little bored with "stay" too.* :-\ So there you go. We have worked on stay at home with me doing imitations of Mic Jagger in concert, leaping like a frog, throwing balls right at him, squealing like a pig. But I guess I left out the part where I just stand there and do nothing.* It seems to confuse him. He keeps looking at me, then when I'm not doing anything, he looks at the dog next to him (today it was the instructor's dog* ), and he gets this look on his face like, "Hey pal, want to make a break for it?" It was really a little bit funny, but this is definitely something we need to work on. Hard.

Overall, though, a milestone day. It was great to know he can do off-leash. I only had to ask him to catch up once. For me this is great...I had visions of butt-tucking all over the ring!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Show n Go today!

sounds like you did good...I'm afraid sits and downs did us in too..we got the CD but could never do the out of sights..as soon as he saw me leaving the ring we came running..MOMMY DON'T LEAVE ME....LOL

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

That's wonderful.* It won't be long now and you'll be in the ring.

There are several things you need to do for sits/downs.* First, always practice them for longer than normal (ie 2+ min sit, 4+ min down).* Second, practice them just as you would in the ring (across from the dog, not talking or moving). Someone else can do the distractions, not you.* Third, have someone else correct your dog when he moves from position.* It doesn't have to be a harsh correction or even a physical one.* Just have them walk up to him and sternly say SIT.* Usually that's enough to put the fear of God in the dog.* * Once they understand that ANYONE can correct them, they learn to stay.* This is particularly useful for the out of sight sits/downs.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, sounds like a very good run-thru for you guys. Sits and downs kill a lot of people, hang in there, he'll get it. Oddly enough, most people actually score better in off-leash heeling than on-leash

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Lydia, I like those ideas. I am going to see if I can get some help with those, especially with someone else correcting him. We do practice for longer times than normal, but only at home really. I have been so lazy about this!!!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

YAY ANGUS!!!! WOOHOO!!!! ;D

That's awesome, Connie!! Yep, you just have to learn to trust your dog.

As far as posting your video, I use yousendit.com: http://www.yousendit.com/. Basically you email yourself the video, and it gets "held" (??) on a website and you can link to that website (it'll give you the url in your email) and post it here. I think it only holds it for a week? Something like that.

Please post it!! I would love to see you guys in action!!

Great tips from Lydia... I'll have to remember those!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />