Ring Nerves
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring Nerves

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

DefaultRing Nerves

Does anyone struggle with Ring Nerves and if so how do you cope?

I am very new to the entire Rally thing and I am having a bad time of ring nerves. It is really hurting our performance. This past weekend it was more than clear that I had to get this problem under control. We did very poor and it was 99% me.

I have purchased the book "Conquering Ring Nerves" by Diane Peters Mayer. I was also thinking of taking yoga or some type of class.

I am afraid if I don't soon get a grip on this I will want to quit. I have had to push myself to go at every event, even though I know we both know what we are doing and can do it well. I want to do more but the day or two before any competition I start to worry myself sick (literally).
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ring Nerves

I don't really have too much of a problem with the performance stuff, my nerves are usually in the breed ring!

Once thing I do that helps with the performance jitters though it to give yourself PLENTY of time. I like getting there like an hour early, check in, get the course map, relax, walk around with the dog, kind of get them excited, get the sniffing out of the way etc.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

So many of my training buddies have ring nerves so I'm very familiar with the effects on their performance. Showing should be fun and getting so nervous that you want to throw up can not possibly be fun. I don't get nervous. I think nerves are 100% mental. You have to quiet your self talk or change your self talk to something positive.

Ask yourself what you are nervous about.

Are you nervous about people watching you? I can tell you that everyone watching is hoping for the best for you. They want to see you do well and feel bad for you when it doesn't happen. They've all been there done that at some point.

Are you afraid you will make a mistake? Every team makes mistakes. You are working with 2 living, breathing, thinking entities. One of them is bound to do something wrong at some point. Again, we've all been there done that.

Are you afraid you will look silly? I would keep a sense of humor about the situaiton. I'm sure just about everyone competing has their own personal silly story to tell. Many are quite funny but I'm sure at the time the person wanted to crawl in a hole somewhere. Again, you are working with a dog. Dogs live to act silly. Personally, I think we could learn a thing or 2 from them.

I'm a perfectionist so I'm sure I could get really nervous if I went into the ring expecting perfection from me, the dog, and the judge so I don't expect it. Whenever I step into the ring, I have a specific goal in mind. It is never to Q or to get a perfect score. It is always something attainable like "improve our heeling score" or "get straighter fronts" or whatever it may be for that trial. If you keep this philosophy throughout your show career, the Qs and perfect scores will come. ;D

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Hi sweetie!

Lydia had some good thoughts.

Just wanted you to know that I feel for you. I have terrible stage fright if I have to speak publicly. For some reason, this is the only thing that bothers me. As long as I don't have to speak, I am completely fine with whatever, and just get really excited - but not terribly nervous. I have been on stage in front of 8,000 people, and it didn't bother me in the least - because I didn't have to say anything.

But! If I have to TALK, even in front of small groups, I completely lose the ability to string two sentences together. I feel like my heart is going to explode and my head is going to pop off. So I know where you're coming from.

One thing that happens to me when we are showing that helps (I think), is that I have ALL my attention completely focused on Angus. There could be a riot happening outside the ring, and I doubt I would notice. Kevin said last time there was someone SCREAMING their dog's name at the top of their lungs in the other ring, and I did not even hear it. I am not looking at the judge, not looking at anyone outside the ring. The only two things I see are Angus, and the next sign.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

When I show (rarely, only shown 3 times for the RN title) I do exactly what "AngusFangus" does. I just focus on Zeke and the path ahead, NOTHING else. I couldn't even tell you where the judge was standing. Some people I know were at one of my first shows and standing right outside the ring. The rally course took us within 3ft of them twice and I was extremely shocked when they walked up to me after I was in the ring. I was thinking "Where did they come from?!?!". I also don't hear a thing in the ring either. Not one single thing till I have crossed the finish sign/line.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I get nervous in the ring also. You'd think with as many time as I have been in the ring or in a test, I wouldn't, but I do. Only recently have the shakes gone away as I get into the ring. Not sure why, but at least with these Rally classes, I have more confidence that it's going to turn out alright.

I also am VERY focused in the ring.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

patm is offline Senior Member

I tend to get nervous for stuff like this too, but at my first show last weekend, nerves were not that much of a problem. We were there all day waiting for our class, but I just kept taking Emilu outside to walk, and work, talking to people, watching the other dogs show, etc. Right before I was supposed to go in the ring I could feel my heart rate pick up, but that's about it. I also was very focused on Emilu and the signs, and didn't have a clue where the judge was, or anything else going on around me. One of my problems has always been irritable bowel, which tends to send my scurrying to the bathroom a lot when I get nervous, but once I actually start whatever I'm nervous about, I'm OK. I was prepared to take some xanax or immodium for myself if needed, or a little benedryl boost to Emilu if she was too spastic, but we both did fine. I'm more nervous already about the upcoming show next weekend, I think because Novice A is the first show and we won't have nearly as much time to get EMilu used to the show atmosphere.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The best thing for ring nerves is to KEEP SHOWING. I used to be a nervous wreck. But after our 17 times in the ring trying to get Ruger's CDX, I just didn't care about being in the ring any longer. All I wanted was that danged last Q!!

Now, when I show Rally I come out of the ring literally SHAKING. There is just something so unnerving to me about having to give my dog commands, read signs and know where to go all at the same time. I said it before and I'll say it again, I HATE Rally. I really do. It was not fun for me. I only did it because I was already at the show.

Good luck. You will become less and less nervous the more you go in the ring.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I try to keep my mind busy by doing something like alphabetizing all the dogs I see in my head or picturing everyone in their underware or picturing everyones dogs in heir underware (do you think boxers shouldwear boxers??). Or I text everyone I know and try to keep myself busy that way. Checking out all the shops at the show. Doing a crossword puzzle etc. Doing a Rubik's Cube (Anyone remember those??) Even memorizing the course map takes my mind off of worrying. Heck brushing out my dog helps too (though sometimes her coat looks kinda thin by the time we get to the ring..) Mentally scoring every dog that goes through the ring and comparing my scores to the posted scores.
    Or one other thing you might want to do is enter a B.O.B.match and compete in something totally easy like pre-novice obedience to build up your confidence.
    A pitcher in the world series was asked if he was nervous in or before a game, he replied I have always dreamed of being in this game and I have trained my whole life to be here, this is what I love I am eager but not nervous.

Kelly and Amber RN CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh...I just remembered another thing my Mom always says to me. She is the LEAST nervous person in the world. I have never seen her nervous about anything. She is so incredibly laid back. How I could be her daughter is a complete mystery. Well, not really I guess. I take after my dad.

Anyway, if I'm getting all keyed up about something, she likes to say, "Is this really going to matter a week from now? A month from now? Do you think you'll even remember this next year?"

She's right. Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it doesn't. But she is right.

I also agree that the more you do something, the more relaxed and confident you become about it.

Do you think exercising vigorously would help burn off some nervous energy? I know a few times before I've had to do something that makes me crazy, like give a presentation, I've gone for a long, hard walk, and that has helped.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast