Moving the rear-end
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving the rear-end

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultMoving the rear-end

I am still learning so much about training dogs, and it seems like even though Emilu and I are doing OK, I still don't really know how to train her - she's just smart and learns in spite of me. I am now wondering how to go about training her to move her back end separately from her front end. This would appear to be very helpful in getting her to change her position without having to completely move around again -like if she is doing a crooked front, I can get her to just scoocth her bottom around. Trouble is - I don't know how to teach her. Any suggestions? I am going to ask the instructor tonight, but someimes there just isn't time to ask anything different than what we are working on, and with the show coming up she is majorly distracted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Moving the rear-end

Pat, I don't have any great advice, but I'm very curious to hear what others have to say. This IS a hard thing to work on.

Sometimes I will reach out with my foot and tap Angus' back hip, and he does take that as a cue that he needs to move his butt. Trouble is, he's never 100% sure where he needs to move it, so he just tries different things until I seem to be happy.* :-\*

I know some of the people at the club use a "chute" to get straight fronts. You know, set up something that's like a small alley in front of you, where they have no choice but to sit straight. With enough reps, I think the hope is that they just for a habit.

We have problems with crooked fronts too, so I feel for ya!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I teach my dogs "pokey-finger". The end product is if the dog is facing you, and you want to move the it's rear to your right (it's left), you would do a slight motion of your left fore finger, as though you were "poking" the dog in the side. Once they have the concept. it only takes a slight motion of the finger to move their butts over.

I begin teaching it while the dog was standing right in front of me. I have the leash and a treat in my right hand. I poke/shove the dog in it's right side (closer to it's rear end) with my left hand/index finger (whatever it takes), and entice it with the treat to move to your right (it's left). At first it may be easier just to move in a straight line to your right (dog is moving to it's left, avoiding your poking). Eventually though, you can do circles where you are standing still, and the dog is pivoting around you.

Eventually, if for instance the dog comes in on a crooked front, you would "pokey-finger" the dog over to a straight position. Also (eventually) if you want the dog to back up straight, and it strats to back up crooked (you are walking into the dog and it is backing up), you can "pokey-finger" it which ever way you need for it to back up straight.

And even further down the line you can control the dog this way from 20-30 feet away!

I am not good at descriptions, so I hope this makes sense!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

There are a couple of things to do to teach rear end awareness.

1) Teach "get it in".* Have the dog stand on your left (doesn't have to be perfect heel position), put the leash behind your knees (low on your legs not up by your rear) and hold it in your right hand.* Keep the leash very tight (no slack).* Step back slightly with your left leg AS you pivot to the left (this tightens the leash further) while holding a treat in front of your dogs nose and say "get it in".* The dog will move back one step.* Praise and release.* Do it again and ask for 2 steps, etc.* Continue until you can complete a circle 360 degrees backwards.* This command is useful for teaching the inside circle of the fig 8, left turns, pivots, etc.

2) Use a heeling board.* Home Depot has pre cut plywood circles in their lumber area.* Start with a 36" circle.* Nail 1x1s underneath the edges to raise the board.* Make sure they are on the edge so the board does not tip.* Sit your dog on the board in heel position.* You will stand on the ground next to the board.* Ask your dog to heel.* At first, she will probably stand up and step off the board.* Put her back on the board.* This is a slow process at first.* One step, put the dog back on the board. Two steps put the dog back on the board.* Don't rush this process.* Your goal is to get her to stay on the board while she heels in a complete circle.* Once she can do that, have her heel backwards.* Once she can do that, buy the next size smaller board (24") and start the process over.* It will go quicker this time because she understands she needs to stay on the board.* My trainer's Mal can pivot on an 8" board.* All 4 of her paws are grouped tightly together in the center and she spins.* It's really cool to see.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Can also do, like a dressage move, of a side step to the right, telling them to get it in, also with the leash behind you.

What helped Caleb actually begin to get it was when I would do a left turn and then back up a couple steps. Took a while but it has helped his "get it in" and his three step back for Rally.

Also can have a long dowel rod to tap the dog's hock as you do left pivots, the side step. Sometimes this helps. Some dogs just want to play with the stick.

Lydia explained it the best. I do practice the circle lefts a lot and left turns to help remind of that getting the butt in.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

It also helps to teach the dog to control his backend by having him walk over/thru a ladder placed on the ground. Most dogs are pretty clueless about their rear feet. Ideally, place the ladder along a fence or wall so that the dog can't get away from you.. you are on one side of him, the wall or fence on the other. Start by just encouraging him to walk through the rungs. As he gets better at it have him trot and then run thru.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    It also helps to teach the dog to control his backend by having him walk over/thru a ladder placed on the ground.* Most dogs are pretty clueless about their rear feet.* Ideally, place the ladder along a fence or wall so that the dog can't get away from you.. you are on one side of him, the wall or fence on the other.* Start by just encouraging him to walk through the rungs.* As he gets better at it have him trot and then run thru.
    DUH! That is how we start all them!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

You do? Or are you being sarcastic?

Nobody around here seems to do it. I've pulled out the ladder more than once at my agility class when I have dogs that keep falling off the dogwalk.. .they have no idea they have a rear end. The ladder really makes a difference!

debjen is offline Senior Member

We tell people about the ladder all the time in our agility class..unfortunately we just don't have one in our field..we do have a board (old plank from a dog walk) that we walk and then run the dogs over just flat on the ground which can help rear end awarness too.

patm is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the tips - I'm interested in trying the ladder idea - sounds neat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast