Agility this weekend with Simon

Thread: Agility this weekend with Simon

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility this weekend with Simon

We had another class on Saturday. It's been a while since Simon has been, so I was not sure how he'd do with all the obstacles. We are just learning everything.

Well, he did really great! I was so impressed! He took the tunnel full-length and with a slight curve, even though the last time he went through it was only about four feet (we missed the class where they extended it). He was SAILING over the jumps so beautifully. ;D The instructor commented on what a pretty jumper he is. That's my jumping bean!

He does seem to be having a lot of difficulty in one spot: The weaves. :-\ She is teaching with them spread apart, and trying to get the dog to drive hard down the middle, and eventually we will start moving them closer together. He goes in, then veers back out. I have some makeshift weave poles at home, and I clearly need to set those up and start working with him outside of class on this.

I have a funny story about him that I wanted to share:

OK, the dog walk. Simon did it on the ground last time, but the class that we missed they had raised it. The instructor realized this was a big leap for him, so we were standing at the bottom talking about how to handle it:

I am listening intently to the plan. She was saying, "OK. You go across with him on one side, and I'll be on the other. Encourage him all the way. If he decides in the middle he wants to bail out, go ahead and let him, just don't get tangled up in the leash. He won't hurt himself, just let him jump down. If he stalls in the middle, keep encouraging him. And if..."

About that time Simon bolts up the dog walk, and starts trotting happily across. We looked at each other and started laughing, and just said, "OK!" and followed him across. BIG praise when he got to the other side. He repeated this for us three times. He loved it.

It reminded me so much of the first time we took Angus to the lake. I had a strategy all planned out for introducing him to the water slowly and gently. The first day he was just going to look at the water, and maybe get his feet wet. By the second day, maybe he would go in and splash around. In my mind, I didn't have him swimming for at least four trips.

The first time we went, SPLASH! Um, OK...that works too!

We started stringing a few obstacles together this time. Phew! People, that is a workout!! I am going to have to get in better shape!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility this weekend with Simon

Hooray for Simon! Sounds like he has natural talent for agility!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

HEHEHE! He sounds like a natural. ;D

That story reminds me of when Murray was having weave issues. I had been working on Murray's weaves all week. When we got to class, he decided to make me very happy by showing me just how well he knew the weaves. We were trying to run a course but he would take an obstacle then run over to do the weaves then take another obstacle then run over to do the weaves (even when they were across the ring). My instructor and I were laughing so hard we couldn't talk.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you guys are having fun..with the weaves how many poles are you using?..if he is popping out might just use 3 or 4 to get him use to driving to the end of them..sometimes when I'm starting or teaching entrances I'll only use 2 poles.

[email protected]! Murray is my hero! ;D

Debbie, we've been using six. I think cutting back is a really good idea! He just has this weird mental block with it.

I think maybe at home I could scoot them even further apart, too...

Connie and "The Boys":

debjen is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't necessarily move them further apart as that will give him a different body motion to get through the weaves but not as many poles and gradually keep adding a pole until he is doing 6 or 12 and we often add a few more so they don't always know how many they are going to have to weave but just keep going until they are done.

Oh...I meant further apart to make the opening wider...does that make sense? The ones at school are like maybe 10" apart. I think?

The correct spacing the other way is 22", right? I think that's what I remember her saying...

Connie and "The Boys":

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Weaves just take a long time to teach. I didn't think Ruger would EVER be able to weave... it was like he couldn't bend his body when we first started. Then at one point he tried just running down through them and he broke most of the poles!!! But finally it clicked and now he's a pretty good weaver.

I don't like the method your trainer is using... it has never worked for me. I prefer leading them by hand, or using guide wires.

Oh, and it really doesn't matter how physically fit you are, you will ALWAYS come off the course winded... you just don't realize how much of an effort it is to run the course, holler commands at your dog, and keep yourself moving as well... you burn up all available oxygen.. but it's such a rush when you are done!!!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

HOORAH for Simon!!!! ;D Hee hee, the little monkey. He sounds like a natural for agility for sure!!

Murray! Silly!! LOL!

Then at one point he tried just running down through them and he broke most of the poles!!!
    Oh dear! This sounds like something Henery would do, then look mighty pleased about it afterwards!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />