Rally/Obed Match

Thread: Rally/Obed Match

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally/Obed Match

My club is having a match on the 23rd.....my dilemma is, should I try it?

If I tried I would do a RA course and MAYBE novice obed. Is it a waste of everyone's time to do a match with a dog you KNOW cannot do 1 exercise? He can stand for exam, he just cannnot let the judge touch him.....would match judges be annoyed if I asked them to just walk up to him and not touch, or can I even DO that in a match? (I've never been to a match). Its supposed to be really relaxed (according to who organized it), but I don't know how relaxed it will be :-\

For RA...I want to try it, but I have a feeling he might try and ahh....leave. Sometimes he's good and does it nicely, sometimes he's bad and totally bombs everything and leaves. At least I have two weekends of training between now and then to see...

Any advice?????
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally/Obed Match

Absolutely give it a try. It's the only way to know for sure what your dog will or will not do. They might have a Pre-Novice class. It's the same as Novice except everything is done on leash.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

It depends on the type of match it is. If it is a sanctioned match, then all the reqular rules apply (no changes, no toys, no treats). If it is just a fun match or show n go, just about anything goes including having treats in the ring. If it is a fun match, then you definitely need to go. These types of matches are specifically used to work thru the issues you are experiencing. You can have the judge do nothing but SFE over and over if you want. You can do everything on leash. You can change the order of the exercises. You can do just about anything you want. It's your dime.

You didn't say exactly what the issues were with SFE but let me make a suggestion for it anyway. Have lots of people go over your dog, one at a time. At first, just have them walk up to him, give him a treat, then walk away. Then have them walk up to him, give him a treat, pat hiim on the head, then walk away. Then walk up to him, give him a treat, pat him on the head and shoulders, then walk away, etc. Just keep building the amount of touching but keep it positive by providing the treat BEFORE touching the dog. You acn also ask the judge to do this. In the matches, I always give the judge a treat to give to Murray before doing the Utility SFE. Murray shys away from the judge (doesn't move his feet, just his head) as the judge approaches so I'm trying to build his confidence and convince him that this is the most wonderful exercise of all because he gets a treat. It has worked like a charm. Now he actually checks the judge for treats. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I *think* its a sanctioned match, but then they also said "really relaxed" so that makes it sound more like a fun match....I'll have to find out.*

SFE.....well, depending on the person they may not even get to walk up to him, let alone touch him.* People in the training club can manage t give him a treat and touch the side of his face.* Other people are shunned at all costs.* If I MAKE him stay still he'll growl at them for a while (if they look directly at him).* If they stand there and act like they don't care what he thinks about them...then he'll wag the tip of his tail.* He still won't go near them though.* Thats only if its obvious they are paying attention to *him* . If someone comes up to talk to me he acts competely normal and will sneak up behind them and sniff them. But the minute they notice him and look at him/reach out/move their hands at all he's back to not liking them.

Basically.....fear issues.* We're working with people though, so eventually it should be fixed.*
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If it's an A Match, it's run just like a show. If it's a B Match, it's for fun....and definately attend and do BOTH events!

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Atrick I use for the SFE is to hang around and hopefully get a chance to say hi to the judge before the match. If I can get Amber used to the voice and the judge being close then durring the SFE she does much better. Sometimes just hanging near the judges table (if you can do this without annoying anyone) is enough.
    Just some thoughts that might help you.

Kelly and Amber RN CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />