Rally question - Moving Down, anyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally question - Moving Down, anyone?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally question - Moving Down, anyone?

Well, Friday night before the Show n Go, I realized that I had neglected to teach one sign: Moving Down. Ruh roh! Don't know how that slipped through the cracks on me!

So we do a little bit of work on it Friday night. He does...OK. He tries, bless his heart. But always ends up lying perpendicular to me, in front of me. :-\ Or he wants to sit first.

So we get to the Show n Go, and guess what? Moving Down! Oh joy!

For a dog who had practiced this for a total of five minutes, I have to say he did very well. The "judge" was super nice - I told her we'd only been working on it "a short time" and she tried to help us some with it. She was having me sort of step into him with my right foot and come around with my right hand, bringing it all the way to the floor while saying "down." It worked pretty well.

Just wondered how you all taught that one?

Also, do you think I should call it "Drop?" Would that be helpful to him when we get to DORs? I mean, to name it something different?

Thanks!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

DefaultRe: Rally question - Moving Down, anyone?

I am not sure if this will help but this is we did the moving down by first learning a basic bow (as a little trick). From there we went to bow down. He knew down so naturally he went elbows first (bow) then the down (rear down). Once he got the idea I started to change the wording to Bow drop Down (making sure that the emphases was on the bow and drop) then just started to change my emphases to Drop Down then just dropped the Down.

I know it sounds like a lot but he figured it out in about 3 sessions.

Hope this helps a little.
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Hmm, that's interesting! Angus already does "Take a bow," but I never thought of incorporating that into the Moving Down.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I made the mistake of teaching the down from the sit position (I will never do that again) so I retaught down by just starting from the stand and luring with food. I just say down and bing the treat under her chin and between her front legs once she is down she gets the treat. I also taught her back (to back up to proper heeling/sit position. So if she is sitting and needs to go to a down position I expect her to kick her back legs out and go to the sphinx position. If she just moves her front feet forward to down I tell her back and she will move back while staying down till she is in the correct heel/down position. She doesn't like to have to back so she has learned to just do it correctly now after a few hundred repititions. The other thing she did when she went to the sit from the down was to wrap around me when going down. I now train by having my left foot ready to move forward and block her form that, but once I taught the down by her kicking out her rear legs it is never a problem. Rally is making my Obedience much better. And this website is making our everything better, Thanks Everyone.

Kelly G and Amber RN CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    * I made the mistake of teaching the down from the sit position (I will never do that again)
    same here.*

I wish I could actually see how you are going from a sit to a down. I am visualizing it as actually standing between the sit and down, or is the front going down at the same time the back is coming up to push the back legs out??

Your dogs probably move a lot faster than Rowdy, he acts like an old man sometimes.
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

She kinda pushes back with her back legs as she goes down and then pulls her rear legs back into position. So her back end does come up a bit as she goes down. Sometimes when she is really excited she jumps her backend back as she goes down.
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

On a moving down, they can't sit first. Be careful. Since we did Rally after Buddy knew the DOR, I just down slightly towards him and say, "Down". I use the same command. Down is down whether you're moving or not.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't know if we'll ever get this one right! ???

Fortunately our first trial did not have it in the course! Woo Hoo.

I may try teaching a new command called "DROP" and see if she can learn that it means front down first. Otherwise, she always sits first and then lowers herself slowly into the down...but she had/has elbow issues from dysplasia...

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Connie, I taught Henry the moving down basically the same way your judge told you. I pivot in front of him (to stop his forward motion) and then do an exaggerated "down" hand command. He normally drops within a 45 degree angle but never perfectly straight. So the judge at our rally workshop said to work it against a wall or against your couch for example so that he learns that down not only means down, but straight.

Another hint she passed along, I'm not sure if it's the same in AKC as it is here, but as long as the dog is starting to down, you can start the walk-around. ie, the dog doesn't have to be completely down before your walk-around and your feet shouldn't stop moving.

Moving down is an advanced exercise here, but I had to teach it to Henry for AKC novice.

I'm curious about calling it "drop" instead of "down" though...
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

It may be just me, but I wouldn't teach it as drop. Down is down. It doesn't make any difference whether they're moving or stationary. Also, it's one less thing you have to remember. When is drop down and when is down down? I'd get too confused and mess my dog up.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast