Rally question - before Friday!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally question - before Friday!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally question - before Friday!

Starting to get excitied (and a little nervous) about the Rally show on Friday. I just realized that not only is Emilu going to have to go through several exercises without getting a treat, but now I realize that I can't even pet her to praise her, can I? I know that you can talk to them, encourage them, etc. , and pat your leg and stuff, but can you touch your dog at all? I know that you can't do any leash corrections, but it hadn't dawned on my till tonight that I can't pat her chest or whatever to let her know she did a good job at a certain station. So - no touching the dog at all throughout the whole thing - right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally question - before Friday!

You're right, no touching your dog through out the entire run. I guess I never thought about that because I use my voice as a marker for praise and correction........... I don't touch Kona until I put his leash back on (in Rally advanced and excellant and regular obedience).

I would practice using your voice to let her know when she is right and see if you can get her used to it before Friday.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    So - no touching the dog at all throughout the whole thing - right?
    Correct. From the time you pass start until the time you pass finish you may not touch your dog. This is different from traditional obedience where you can not touch your dog from the time the judge asks "are you ready?" and you respond "Yes" until the judge says "exercise finished." The good thing is that while atraditional obedience class takes about 7 minutes, rally only takes about 1 1/2 - 2 min and she should be able to work for you for that long without physical praise.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

My advise is if you move quickly and keep the happy voice the entire time whether she is doing perfectly or not, she will keep with crazy mom...at least that is what keeps mine close. They don't know what the heck I am up to, but they don't want to miss a thing, just in case that is what gets them the treat!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yep, happy voice and SMILE ;D ;D ;D. I taught Caleb that a smile is as much of a reward as all the other things. It's nice cause I always have a smile with me!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

And you have a few days to practice doing a series of exercises without touching and then praising after.

Kelly G and Amber RN CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Pat, don't worry!!

You will really be surprised at how fast it goes out there. Two minutes is not a very long time, especially when you're all keyed up! I was worried about Angus too...not for the petting, but because of the lack of treats.

I was really sweating getting him through the ring without a treat, but Melissa is so right...if you just keep everything really upbeat and fast-paced, they are so busy getting through it they don't even notice! ;D

Oooo, I just can't wait to hear how it goes! You are so going to love it, I promise!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh Pat...I wanted to tell you a couple of other things before you go. These are two things I almost botched before someone stopped me :

1) When you check in with the ring steward, you're not supposed to say your name. Just give your Rally number. My friend said she got called out for this at her first trial.

2) Your arm band goes on your left arm. The arm with the dog. I had mine on wrong, and one of the girls fixed it right before I went in.

Have fun!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Oh Pat...I wanted to tell you a couple of other things before you go. These are two things I almost botched before someone stopped me :

1) When you check in with the ring steward, you're not supposed to say your name. Just give your Rally number. My friend said she got called out for this at her first trial.

2) Your arm band goes on your left arm. The arm with the dog. I had mine on wrong, and one of the girls fixed it right before I went in.
    I am still learning stuff. I never knew the armband was supposedto go on the left arm guess I just did it because I am right handed. And I never can remember my number when I check in so I have just been telling them my dogs name and class. They haven't scolded me for that so far but it would make t easier and quicker for them to check everyone in if they gave their number. I think smetimes we are a little more laid back out here on the west coast. And we tend to have smaller trials or less interest in obedience/rally.

Kelly G. and Amber RN CGC
    Chino Ca
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Is this your running order #? The same as the one on your armband?
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast