Swing/Flip finish question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swing/Flip finish question

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwing/Flip finish question

Hey you guys, I was just wondering something. Another of Pat's posts made me think of this:

Is there any way to teach the swing/flip finish so that they leap up/twist/and fall into a sit at your left?

Angus did this by accident the other night when he was really excited. Well, when he did it, I got really excited too! I meant to carry on about him to reinforce how much I loved it, i.e., "YES YES YES ANGUS GREAT YES YES YES!" But it surprised and thrilled me so that I sucked a piece of hot dog down my throat, and all that came out was, "yeep!"

Anyway, I tried to keep it rolling and get him to do it again, but no luck. Sigh.

I've seen Aussies and Border Collies do this, and it just looks so sharp! Is it something that can be taught?

Right now the way Angus does a swing/flip finish is really just readjusting his sit 180 degrees...his butt never gets very far off the floor. He started doing this when I started teaching him "Get in" from the side...he would just scoot over. Now he scoots around. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Swing/Flip finish question

I sucked a piece of hot dog down my throat, and all that came out was, "yeep!"
    LOL Connie!!! ;D

I'm interested to see if that can be taught too... Henry just trots around merrily into position. I've seen the BCs do it... so kewl.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

you can train it by using a toy or a bumper if your dog likes those. I just used a squeekie toy and told her to "get it" She got used to jumping up to get the toy. (you don't let them have the toy till after you get them in the position you want then you toss the toy for them) So I got Amber to jump up and swing around and sit back in heel. you kinda can guide them around with the toy but getting them to jump up is the key. you can also add spring into other things if you want as long as your dog is toy/ball/bumper happy. I used the get it and get back commands originally now just the back command.
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

Depending on the size of your lab, it may/may not be a good idea, as labs are pretty body heavy.

When Ruby gets very excited and I give her a 'Swing' command she spins counterclockwise (which is a command I have taught her...but not to end up in heel), but is is cute, but I wonder if in the ring she will be penalized. From a front, she goes counter clockwise, ends up in heel sitting...what do you think?

Depending on the size of your lab, it may/may not be a good idea, as labs are pretty body heavy.
    Oh....yeah, that is a good point. Hmmm.

Maybe I should concentrate on Simon, aka Mr. Jumping Bean, for this one.

Connie and "The Boys":

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Zeke does it...

I just taught it by having him jump up for a treat and then moving the treat to lure him into the correct position. He caught on eventually.....However, I think sometimes having a nice calm finish might be better. On hyper days he'll body slam, which I believe is a fault in the obed ring :P, not to mention unpleasant.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I know Border Collie people teach this type finish by teaching the touch command. They teach their dogs to touch the palm of the handler's hand no what height it's at. This way the dog will jump to up touch their hand while moving into the swing positon.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Monnie, that makes sense! It also makes sense because of the hand signal I have seen them use...I can see how it could have started out as "touch." ;D

Connie and "The Boys":

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yes, it can be taught with the touch. Then, you can reinforce speed on the call to heel with the Moving Stand in Utility. My first Lab taught it to her self. Personally, I prefer my Labs not do it. My boys have just been too heavy to do it nicely. Becca was a skinny field dog and she did fine with it (giving me a bloody nose and a bloody lip in the ring!).
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My trainer actually hates this move. She doesn't like her labs doing it. It's flashy but doesn't win you any extra points in the ring....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast