weave poll question

Thread: weave poll question

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Defaultweave poll question

Well, I took everyone's advice and made 6 weave polls of my own Saved a bunch of money that will now go toward an agility class I hope to start this fall! Next time SO is in town we're building a contact trainer as well.

Jake's gotten fairly reliable on the weaves, so long as I send him to them straight and have my timing right (I call "in, out, in, out...") he goes through correctly 9 times out of 10. The times we're off are usually because I am too slow or call out the wrong word.

Should I be adding polls now? Or asking for more speed? Which is the logical next step? How did you all train? Do you prefer one foot or two? Right now he's two footing it I think. I'm not exactly sure but he looks like a slaloming skiier, both feet left then right, bouncing back and forth. The other method is faster correct? How would one train that?

As you all can tell - I really need that class! Thanks in advance for the help

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: weave poll question

I would work on a couple of things.

1) On and off side weaves He'll need to know how to do them correctly with you on either side of him on an actual course.

2) Finding the entrance from odd angles and both sides (on & off). This is by far the most difficult thing about poles. Start him straight on to the poles (call that 6:00 or noon) and work your way around the clock. First 6:00 then start him at 5:00, 4:00, 3:00 etc, then start him at 7:00, 8:00, 9:00 etc. Weave guides are very helpful for teaching entrances so the dog cannot make a mistake. You can buy guides or make your own.

3) Then add another set of 6 - 12 poles. It's good to have them learn to weave 18 or more so they don't quit at pole 10. ;D

4) Then work on speed. I race Murray down the weaves then toss a ball at the end. Speed will come naturally as he becomes more confident so I don't work that at first.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Good idea about the 18 poles eventually, I could see how that could become a problem. Once or twice I've sent him to them and he's run right to the end, turned to face me and sat - "look how fast THAT one was Mom!" We'll work with the odd angles tonight and see how that goes. I found a dog park in the city that has even more agility equipment then the one we go to now, so we'll try that out there this weekend too.

Anotehr question: What do you use as your "reward?" Right now I have a fire hose toy he gets to tug on, but sometimes he gets too fired up about it and rushes. He's not super ball motivated, but loves to tug. Food is a disaster for us, he's too focused on that and not on me. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for the help!

Update: We just went out and tried an off-side entry. Verdit: Needs work! I also had him enter after me, which went better than I had thought. Thanks again!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

One more: Does Murray weave two footed or one foot?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I would also drop the "in" "out" command. Not only is it cumbersome to say (I know because I used it in the beginning) some dogs actually begin to learn what in and out mean (go away from mom, come back to mom) and if you say it wrong they flub up.

I've switched to just weave weave weave.

Do start teaching offside weaves. It is something I neglected (because I show obedience I find it very awkward to do myself) and I have often had to run like a mad fool to get to the entrance of the weaves so I can send my dog in correctly as he won't go in and weave if I'm on the wrong side. If I really were a stickler for winning, I'd go back at this point and start over with weaves... but I'm lazy and almost done showing Ruger in agility so I don't bother. My next dog will learn it from the get go

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Usually one foot or two foot is dependant on the lenght of the dog and the length of the legs andthe spacing of the poles. I think longer spacing leads to two footing and shorter spacing leads to one footing. (may have this backwards) If you have single stick in the ground poles you can easily change the spacing. If you have fixed poles you would have to build new ones to do it. And then you would have to graduallly change the distance to get the one you desire.

Kelly G and Amber RN CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by yellojakesmom
    Anotehr question: What do you use as your "reward?" Right now I have a fire hose toy he gets to tug on, but sometimes he gets too fired up about it and rushes. He's not super ball motivated, but loves to tug. Food is a disaster for us, he's too focused on that and not on me. Any other suggestions?
    I use food or a ball. I like the ball because I can toss it at the end of the weave and cause him to drive thru the last poles. I will say that when I first starting training Murray (on anything) he would leave my fingers bloody when using food treats. He was just so amped. Now he knows he will get the food so he is easier on my skin.

Murray weaeves one footed. I never taught him. It's just his style.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE