We're back from the match (long and pic intensive)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're back from the match (long and pic intensive)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultWe're back from the match (long and pic intensive)

We’re back from the match.* We had a wonderful time.* The weather was PERFECT!* It was raining about 10 miles from the show site so we had overcast skies, temps in the 70s, light & cool breezes for the majority of the day.* Basically it was perfect show weather.

Murray LOVED showing early for Utility.* He was AWESOME!* We were the 3rd dog in the ring so he was fresh, cool and lovin’ life.* We only lost 6 ½ pts but we blew the recall on the signal exercise for a big fat goose egg.* I really didn’t care though because everything else went better than expected.* My daughter video taped our run so I was able to see everything.* This is probably the best training tool I have and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Murray’s heeling was wonderful.* We only lost 1 ½ pt (1 pt for a lag on the fast and ½ pt for a lag on the about turn after the judge ran us into the ring gates).* His stand, down, sit signals were perfect (absolutely no creeping).* I gave the recall signal and on the video I can see that Murray was intently watching me but he acted like he wasn’t sure he saw what he thought he saw.* I gave the signal a 2nd time slower.* He started to move forward but then stopped.* I finally gave a verbal and he came in so we actually got a zero for the exercise but the judge showed me the score sheet and told me we had only lost 1 ½ pts up until then.

Murray’s articles were perfect also.* The wind was blowing so I was concerned whether he’d get the correct article but he had no issue whatsoever.* The first article was placed in the center.* Murray checked around the outside first, then the center.* The 2nd article was placed at 12:00.* Murray zoned in on it first, thought about bringing it back (didn’t pick it up though), then decided to check the other articles.* The judge commented on this.* I told him Murray has run out and grabbed the first article before and been wrong so I was extremely happy that he decided to check the entire pile first.* The judge docked us ½ pt because Murray had turned his head to look where the judge was placing the article.* I told the judge there is no rule against that but he said it wasn’t something he liked to see.* :

Gloves were great.* We had #3.* We didn’t pivot quite far enough so we lost 1 pt there.* I let Murray tug with the glove after the exercise was finished.* He didn’t want to let go so that got some laughs from the judge and ring steward.* I’ll remember not to do that in a real show.* ;D

We’ve been really working on the moving stand.* Murray HATES this exercise.* He’s very intimidated about having someone lean over him to do the exam.* Novice SFE was no issue because the judge was never standing over Murray.* I’ve been standing Murray and having tons of people walk up to him, give him a treat, then really go over him.* At practice, I have 5-10 people lined up going over him, one right after the other. It paid off.* His stand was perfect.* He didn’t droop his head or shy away. He did look for a treat from the judge though.* He stood perfectly still. No points lost.

I was concerned about the go outs.* This ring was rebar poles with pink surveyors tape.* We’ve never done a go out to this type of ring before.* We practice go outs to baby gates and to individual white poles.* I sent Murray and he went out fast and confidently.* He sniffed the pole (1/2 pt) then turned and took about 3 steps before sitting (1 pt).* He took the first jump perfectly.* The second go out Murray turned before reaching the post (yea!) but he again took 3-4 steps (this time off to my right) before sitting (another 2 pts).* He took the 2nd jump perfectly.

The judge asked if we were showing next month.* I told him I was trying to decide if we were ready.* He said “absolutely!”* Some other competitors told me we looked great out there and were definitely ready to compete.* I was very proud of my boy.

My daughter showed an 8 month old female yellow Lab puppy in conformation.* She still has a lot to learn (so does the wild child pup) but she had fun and I think she’s hooked.* The judge was very nice (read patient) and gave her some pointers.

I showed a 20 month old black female Lab in conformation (not Essy but wish I’d showed her too).* We took BOB and G2.* She was a beautiful girl.* She actually won best puppy in match last year at this same trial.

My daughter showed Essy in Rally Nov A.* They were incredible to watch.* Essy was up and prancy.* They would have had a 98 and 3rd place but my daughter misread a station (call front finish left forward) and had Essy sit before starting it.* She of course didn’t realize they had done it incorrectly so she didn’t retry.* They finished with an 88 (lost 1 pt for a tight lead and 1 pt for a crooked sit).* The judge was wonderful.* She explained where my daughter lost points and told her she was very proud of her.* The other competitors were very nice to her too.

My daughter then showed Essy in Nov A obedience.* By this time the cloud cover had disappeared and it was HOT!* Essy did really good on lead but then the wheels came off.* She was laggy on the figure 8 so my daughter kept walking slower and slower and turning her head to look back over her shoulder.*

Essy didn’t want to stand on the signal for SFE so my daughter lifted her into position.

Off lead was painful to watch.* My daughter did not keep her left hand at her waist, did not keep a quick pace, and kept looking over her shoulder.* Essy thought she was on a walk in the park.* She was lagging, looking all around.* When Meghan would give a 2nd heel command she moved quickly into position but it didn’t last.* At this point they were still barely qualifying according to the judge.* I thought that was generous.

On the recall Essy didn’t come in close enough so that NQd them.* She has started doing this recently in practice and we’ve been working on it.* She also didn’t do the finish...no big deal but still.* >

Sits/downs were perfect.* I was worried Essy would get up and come over to the shade (she’s that type of girl) but she didn’t. Afterwards the judge praised my daughter and said they are a great team but need to really focus on attention (the same thing I keep telling her).* The judge wouldn’t give me the score sheet or even let me see it so I have no idea what their score would have been.* I videotaped the run so my daughter can study it.* When they went off leash I said “what is different?”* She figured it out right away that her hand was not in position and her speed was not good so she is learning.* I was so very proud of her for everything she did yesterday.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We're back from the match (long and pic intensive)

LYDIA THAT IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UTILITY HERE THEY COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice pictures of your daughter, too!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations to you and Meghan. Sounds like you have a great showing partner there.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Lydia, LOVE this story! Thanks so much for sharing it, I had so much fun reading about your day and experiencing it all vicariously!

Your daughter is cute as a bug!! She looks about the age of the daughter of one of our club members, Abby. They are the only other Lab owners I see at the club regularly. Well, our training director has Labs, but they are in Utility so I rarely see them. Anyway, Abby and Carolina have been doing Rally with me and Angus, and she does such a fantastic job. I am just amazed that girls this young can do this so well. Makes me really wish I had started at that age. I would probably be really good by now!

Tell Meghan I said BIG congratulations to her! And HUGE congrats to you and Murray too! So proud of you all!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

CONGRATULATIONS all around! That is so great about your daughter. I love the second pic of her and Essy--Essy looks like she's having a GREAT time, and that's worth more than any points!

imported_azooinaz is offline Senior Member

Wonderful!!! Your daughter looks so grown up in those photos!

putertutor is offline Senior Member

Wow, that's really awesome; It was wonderful to read the story. I'm glad that everyone had a great day.
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, sounds like you guys ROCKED this weekend!!! I'm so proud of you and Murray. And your daughter... I do think she's caught the bug now! How nice that you will be able to show together ;D

Wish you could post some pics of Murray working Utility? Anyone take any? Post them if you have them. You guys are an awesome team.. you inspire me and Ruger

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Wish you could post some pics of Murray working Utility?* Anyone take any?* Post them if you have them.*
    No Murray pix unfortunately. :'( My friend was going to take pictures but she ended up not going to the match. Video gives me more info than photos so Meghan took video for me. If I knew how to post video, I'd do that. I probably need some type of video editing software though, huh.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

That's terrific! Your daughter is adorable, as is Essy... good job to you all!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast