Rally Questions

Thread: Rally Questions

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

DefaultRally Questions

Actually I just need some advise. I LOVE Rally. We do mostly APDT, some AKC but we titled last weekend in APDT.

Rowdy does very well but we are STILL having problems with left turns. He just doesn't want to realize that his back feet can move independently from his front.

How have you all trained for left turns? I am looking for new ideas. Right now this is the only thing we are losing points on on a consistant basis. He really pulls out in front on left turns.

Thank you

<br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally Questions

Lots of ways to teach the left turn. One way is like a dressage side pass using a dowel to guide the rear in as you side step telling them to get it in. Also when I finish I'll side step and tell him to get it in (all teaching the same thing). Also on my left turns I will take a few steps backwards. This also begins to teach the 3-step back.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

That is what I have been doing but didn't know if their might be something else out there that I was missing. Funny thing you should mention the back steps. That is something I thought we would have tons of problems with and now it is one of his favorite things to do.

Thanks for the advise. We will just keep on working on it.
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

That is something I work Caleb on even before we go into the ring as a reminder. It is part of our normal ring warm up routine.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I've posted many times about using a heeling board.* This is a 24" circle board (standard size from Home Depot) with 1x1s nailed underneath around the edge (make sure it can't tip).* Sit the dog on the board and ask him to heel while staying on the board (you will be walking around it on the ground).* At first the dog will stand up and step off the board.* Put him back on.* Just go 1 step at a time.* One step then praise. Two steps then praise, etc. Until you can heel all the way around the board without the dog stepping off.* Once you accomplished this, ask him to heel backwards.* Same process.* Next, graduate to the next smaller size of board (20") and start over.* It will go quicker this time since the dog understands what is expected.* I taught Murray to do this on a 16" board.* Everyone tells me he has the most beautiful pivots. My trainer's dog can heel on an 8" circle (actually its more like a spin in place).

Another thing you can do is teach "get it in".* Put the dog in heel beside you (standing is ok, even preferrable at first).* Put the leash snuggly behind your knees, holding the leash in your right hand.* The dog's head will be snugged up against your leg (make sure you use a flat buckle collar for this, not a choke or prong).* Lure the dog into a 90 degree left turn (dog is moving backwards) with a treat in your left hand while saying "get it in" and starting to turn yourself.* The leash will tighten and the dog will be forced to move.* Praise and give the dog the treat on the first step backwards.* Keep practicing until you can turn 180 or even 360 degrees.* Now you can use "get it in" for left turns, left pivots (glove 3 in Utility), left about U (rally), etc.* It's like having power steering.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE