Bad trainer experience......

Thread: Bad trainer experience......

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultBad trainer experience......

Zeke was going to be entered in a trial thats coming up, but to fill out the entry form I had to measure him to make sure he's 24" jumper.

We were trying to measure Zeke for jump heights, but he was scared of the measuring wicket. He kept jumping back and struggling to get away. The trainer was all like "he's too dominant, etc". Then, the trainer said something like "let me hold on to him". I *thought* he just meant he was going to hold Zeke still and let ME measure so that Zeke would not be scared. He grabbed Zeke's leash, and before I could say a thing he strung Zeke up by his prong collar and was jerking him around....Zeke was having to stand on two legs, and he was trying to get away. He was mouthing at the trainers hand trying to make him let him go (trainer now has a bloodied hand). Zeke was screeching and yipping.....the trainer's two setters then came after Zeke. Then I got Zeke back and we left.

We are now in search of new trainers...we're also not entering the trial at the trainer's facility like we were planning to.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bad trainer experience......

STRUNG UP ON A PINCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd be looking for another trainer, too!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

debjen is offline Senior Member

I'd be looking for a new trainer too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL

The worst part is, Zeke is SCARED of people. He's not dominant at ALL. We can't even take the CGC test because the testers always scare him....

Zeke hyperventilated and peed all over the place :-\. Dominance, obviously :

I'm hoping the trainer's idiocy didn't set Zeke back again....he was FINALLY starting to approach people, but I think his trust got shattered again. Somehow, every new trainer he gets ends up wanting to abuse him. :-[ Its like they just want to dominate and intimidate him, not help him. They seem to want me to intimidate him too, which I refuse to do. I don't want my dog to be afraid of me, he's afraid of everything else already.

I'm retiring his prong/pinch for a while.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Does he really need a pinch? Take him out to as many things as possible--baseball games, etc and just walk around. Don't make a fuss over him telling him that it is all right--be a strong leader to show him that it is safe. Then as he feels more comfortable get closer and closer till you are walking through the crowds. Mall parking lots, grocery store parking lots are good too. Not the end. I had a boy who got jumped by two different Boxers at a match and at training class, along with the apartment next to us catching fire and his crate was under our bedroom window, next to the apartment that was on fire (we were not home) and he also got scared of workers in our house working. We worked through it but it did take time. I just had to make a big game out of things and lots and lots of positive reinforcement and not "comfort."
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

ZRL

He used to need a pinch, but I think he'll do fine without one now. Oddly enough, Zeke likes people even if he is scared of them. He'll walk right up to people and sniff them, but if they move to pet him he jumps back. I'm working on him letting people at least touch his nose when he sniffs them, so he's getting a bit better. Its taken YEARS to even get him comfortable enough to sniff strangers.

He does need more work though, so I've been taking him everywhere I can lately. I am trying to find a trainer who will work with his lack of confidence as well as with obedience and agility. I *think* I found one person that understands his problem and is willing to help me get him through it.

My goal is eventually to be able to enter an obedience trial...he's trained (for CD level), but I can't enter because he's afraid of the judges :-\

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    He grabbed Zeke's leash, and before I could say a thing he strung Zeke up by his prong collar and was jerking him around....Zeke was having to stand on two legs, and he was trying to get away. He was mouthing at the trainers hand trying to make him let him go (trainer now has a bloodied hand).*
    Grrrr...that really makes me angry. I went thru something very similar with my Rottie. I posted about my experience in this thread about a dog that was killed by a so called "trainer". https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg124770

You are going to have to work a lot with Zeke to get him thru his issues. This means following Susan's advice about taking him to places with lots of people. Go slowly and build his confidence gradually. At first just walk near the people, then thru the crowds of people, then walk up to people and have them talk to you while completely ignoring Zeke (no contact), then have them give Zeke a treat (still no contact), then have them give him a treat and a quick pat, then have them pet him first then treat him after, etc. It takes a lot of time and patience to work thru issues like these.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

One of my tricks to help my dog with similar issues is to have her hop up on a metal folding chair and sit. This is one of her favorite things to do and she gets all happy. Then when people approach her she is a bit higher and more on their level. It took about a week to teach her to hop up on a chair. and now we go to our local PetsMart or PetCo and either take a chair or borrow one of theirs. This has helped alot and even if it doesn't work perfectly for you you can always incorporate an easy trick for her that she likes to do as a way to calm her for people contact.
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Oh my gosh, that's awful!! >
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE