Zeke agility video

Thread: Zeke agility video

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultZeke agility video

I made a video (short, only 30seconds) of Zeke practicing in my backyard.

Sorry its so dark, we were practicing at sunset to avoid the heat.

http://sharkle.com/video/96075/

Please igmore my flying arms etc....I always get in trouble for that at agility class.

He wasn't ready for that weave entry, he's not that advanced yet....but I just thought I'd try it. Obviously it was a failed attempt :P:P
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_agilitymom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Zeke agility video

Do you get clean run magazine? They just recently had an article about tough weave pole entries. I have been practicing some of their exercises and it has been working well.
    Zeke seems very excited and motivated to run agility. He sure jumped that huge broad jump. What venues do you compete in? Does he jump 24"? My Madison is competing in agility and I am training my puppy. It is a great sport.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Oh Riley, Robbie and I wish we had room in our backyard to set up agility equipment...we have to go to our trainers to practice..you look like you are having fun

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL

We don't compete yet, Zeke has a small problem with being pig headed and running off to sniff, haha.

We're going to be showing in AKC though, hopefuly starting this september. He will be a 24" jumper.

No, I don't get cleanrun, I've never even seen a copy of it.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Looking good!* ;D

I hope you don't mind but here are some things that I see going on with your weaves.

1.* Your dog did exactly what you asked on your first attempt.* Even though your hand signaled the poles, your body was open directly to the camera (away from the poles) which is exactly where he went.* Dogs will read your body posture more so than your hands and arms because it is easier/bigger to read.* Make sure your entire body is saying "WEAVE".* This means your feet should be pointing down the line of poles and your upper body (and even your hips if you can) should be facing towards the weaves, not out toward the camera.* Body language can trip you up all over the course.* A slight twitch of your shoulders or a turn of your head can send a dog off course even if your hands and voice are saying something else.

2. Also on your first attempt you were pointing between poles 2 & 3 which is too late.* On your second attempt you pointed between pole 1 & 2 for the entrance and the dog entered on the wrong side because it appeared you were crowding the proper entrance.* FYI, even when you point between 1 & 2 a dog will usually miss the entrance and start between pole 2 & 3 because the signal is too late.* A better position is to point in between pole 1 and an imaginary pole 0 because the dog is moving and will be between pole 1 & 2 before he enters.* It seems weird but it works. It's sort of like throwing a football (only opposite).* You don't throw a pass where the receiver is/was, you throw it where he's going to be.* In weaves, you have to give the signal prior to the entrance so the dog starts the weave as he reaches pole 1.* Does that make sense?

3. When you retry weaves, make sure you back up past pole 1 and point to the imaginary point between pole 0 and pole 1 so they have a straight shot into the weaves. Check to make sure your body posture is saying "WEAVE" and don't crowd them.* Don't put them back in right at pole 1 because they will be facing perpendicular to the poles and it will be tough to make the turn back to pole 2-3 and it has a domino effect on the rest of the weaves.

4.* When practicing/learning difficult weave entries with a novice dog, put up guide wires (on the first 2 poles as a minimum).* This ensures a correct entry every single time.* This helps the dog learn that the first pole is always on his left no matter which way he approaches the weaves.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ZRL

Thanks for the advice...I always get in trouble at class for poor signaling and body language.

Guide wires? How does one go about that?

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

These are guide wires you can buy.

http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merch...eTrainingWires

Here are some available on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

Here are some good pictures, descriptions.

http://www.sscgb.org/Misc/WeaveWires.html

You can also ake your own by wrapping chicken wire (that wouldn't be a "wire" but more like a "screen") around a larger diameter piece of PVC to slip over your weave poles. It would follow the same arc as the guide wires connecting pole 1 and 3, 2 and 4, etc. Make sure you bend it out in the center to make the same arc that is illustrated in the picture link above. Make sure you bend back the cut wire edge so the dog does not get cut or caught on it.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

video was pretty dark on my screen, but Zeke sure can fly over those jumps. Love his enthusiasm. Keep working on the weave pole entry, you'll get it. You guys look good.