AKC rally question

Thread: AKC rally question

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAKC rally question

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of entering Henery in some AKC rally trials in an attempt to get his rally novice title in the States (we live a stone's throw from the NY state border, so it's feasible).

A question though... are most AKC rally events tacked onto obedience and conformation shows? I received a premium list today for the Tonawanda Valley Kennel Club and it looks like a huge show... conformation, obedience and rally.

Are there any rally trials that are just rally trials?

Thanks, in advance!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: AKC rally question

I've never seen a Rally trial by itself. It seems to be offered in conjunction with at least an Obedience trial.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks Linda!

I found a trial the 2nd weekend of September that is rally and obedience and a much smaller trial... a good one to get our feet (and paws!) wet!!

The rally trials here in Canada are usually just rally, but then again, not associated with the CKC... it's a separate group, CARO (Canadian Association of Rally Obedience). Maybe that's why?

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Officially all Rally trials by the AKC are separate shows...but they always seem to hold them with an obedience show at least. Living in California and going to a few shows out here they seem to tend to stick Obedience and Rally out away from the main showgrounds.. sometimes quite a distance away. I don't know if this is the same for the eastern side of the country or not. out here the only people generally watching are the competitors or family.

Kelly G and Amber CGC
    Chino Ca
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that I just read somewhere in the AKC bulletins that I ordered about ovbedience and rally rules, that if you offer rally, then you have to offer obedience too.. So you wouldn't be able to just hold a rally competition. I've seen some that hold rally on Friday and obedience on Sat and Sun. I know that you can have obedience without rally, but apparently no rally without obedience. (I'll look it up later - it's late night at the in-laws and I didn't bring my rally rules to the cape with me!)

lcspt is offline Senior Member

ovbedience and rally rules, that if you offer rally, then you have to offer obedience too..
    I just looked it up, Pat, and you are right. What a memory!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Yes They do have to offer Obedience when they do a Rally event. This is a great way to get clubs to hold Obedience trials. The Rally shows seem to draw a larger crowd and make more money which helps pay for the cost of the costly obedience shows. Someone at AKC was thinking when they came up with that rule. I am not sure why they made the rally a separate event with a separate event number and such it would seem to have been simpler if they had just added it on to the obedience trial .

Kelly G and Amber CGC
    Chino CA
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    I am not sure why they made the rally a separate event with a separate event number and such it would seem to have been simpler if they had just added it on to the obedience trial .
    Because they get more money that way. Each event has its own entry fee. This means you pay "frist entry of a dog" for both obedience and rally if you are competing in both. Usually you get a discounted rate for the second entry of the same dog (for example if dog is in obedience and conformation or competing in Open B and Utility B) but AKC fixed our little red wagon by considering Rally a separate event so we pay the full entry fee again even if the dog is entered in something else. >
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I just signed up for a Rally trial offered for all breeds by a GSD club. Rally is on one day, regular obedience another.

Hopefully we do well. This would be our first leg.