Day 2, Things went smoother

Thread: Day 2, Things went smoother

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultDay 2, Things went smoother

Well we arrived 1/2 hour before the show started, I thought that the judge would of gone to lunch, giving us a bit more time to prep. Well I guessed wrong. I talked to the judge prior to the show starting. Explained to her that we have a tough one, and she said lets see what he does. Just so has it, we were in a different area today. Still same building, but almost in a conference room. We were the only group in there, so made it for less distraction. He didn't do 100%, I don't expect miracles after yesterday. So we get in, the judge takes a 10min bathroom break, and I decided to walk the ring with him. I found out after a few laps, this was a No-No. Oops, I learned something new. He did a complete 360 today. Still a bit tough to handle, but was not such a space cadet like yesterday. We didn't get excused, which was a relief, but he didn't qualify. The judge said it would be ok for him to do his sit/stays with the group. I declined. I said to her, the other dogs qualified, and I didn't want him to disrupt the others. She thanked me for that. I felt it was only fair. Tomorrow, who knows, maybe we can get to the sit/stays. I have excepted that we probably won't see a leg this weekend. Yet I learned so much.

If you tried to walk him in the ring, I assume you found out that you can not do that...a big no-no.
    I found this after I came home...I know this for the future

All in all, I felt a lot better after today. I left without tears, which is a lot better than yesterday. I have excepted that he is a lab, and 2yrs old. I can't ask for much more. With a bit more training, I can turn back at this weekend and smile.

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

So glad that today went better. Maybe tomorrow will be even better than today!

I'm curious, is this an AKC show? Reason I'm asking is that judges will not let you opt out of the sits and downs. It's required that you come back in the ring and do them unless your dog is lame or sick.

I tried once to get out of sits and downs because I had a ring conflict and had already NQ'd in the class, but I was told that I MUST have my dog in the ring for sits and downs. So I learned my lesson that day.

Hang in there, and keep us posted with how it goes!!

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Yes it is an AKC show. I asked to be excused, could that be why? I am so new to this, So I am learning every little bit. I am hoping tomorrow, we get as far as the sit/downs. Little each day. I will keep you posted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Hang in there ........ the lessons you will learn this weekend will help you in the future. Take a deep breath when you get into the ring and smile. Remember you are in there with your best fur friend.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

debjen is offline Senior Member

Glad things went better today..

It think asking to be let out of the sits/downs it a judge's call although they are suppose to be do them..I once asked to be let out because Riley hadn't qualified and the day before on the sits and downs he was by my side before I left the ring..when I asked the judge he said tell me your dog isn't feeling well..I said my dog isn't feeling well may we be excused and we were..LOL..Robbie was once excused too because of a conflict with another ring.