Scotty heeling video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotty heeling video

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultScotty heeling video

Got SU to record our heeling practice yesterday. The video is about 7 min long. What is your expert opinion? I think we're doing pretty good with straight lines and changes of pace. We're getting better with about turn. I had to introduce a "push" command to teach Scotty to speed up. It seems to be helping, though we're not perfect yet. Our biggest trouble now is left turns. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I'll ask our trainer, too, during our Saturday lesson. TIA

HEELING VIDEO HIGH BANDWIDTH
    HEELING VIDEO LOW BANDWIDTH

P.S. Scotty tripped a couple of times in some dips in the ground; it was not limping. In fact, if you think he's limping, let me know, too. I'm so glad I have people to share this with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Scotty heeling video

I think you guys look good! For Libby, the only way I could get her to do her left turns was basically by turning into her and walking...she learned to really keep an eye on where I was walking. It certainly looks like Scotty has pretty good attention on you, too...what on earth is that thing you have on your arm that holds the treats?

I don't see any limping, but he definitely looks like he has the "typical" elbow dysplasia gait in the fore- where they kindof almost "paddle" a bit, flipping their paws off to the sides while kindof keeping their elbows stuck in toward their bodies. Libby does the same thing, only hers is a bit worse (she had bilateral FCPs). He looks completely sound otherwise, just the awkward gait when watching head-on from the front. I think it's great that he's doing so well and is so pain-free and happy.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

what on earth is that thing you have on your arm that holds the treats? Smiley
    Julie, I put a hair band around my arm and attach a clip to it, then stick a treat on the clip (I had to unbend one of the ends of hte clip straight). With the heeling belt, Scotty's head was too low, so we decided to try something else, and the clip worked. Scotty also had bilateral orthroscopic surgery to remove FCPs. And his feet are splayed (even when he is standing). I don't know if it's a cause or effect of ED, but he seems to be doing well. I certainly hope that we won't get points taken off for that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

You guys look great!* ;D

I cue my right turns and about turns with my left leg because the dog can follow the left leg around. The opposite is true for left turns.* If I start my left turn using my left leg, the dog will be forged and or bump me because he expects a turn to the right and starts to speed up. There's no way around it.

I cue my left turns with my right leg.* I plant my left foot (left step is flat (vs heel/ball/toe) with foot turned slightly left (like 11 oclock) so Murray slows for a left turn (vs stopping for a halt), right foot makes a 7 (not a T) in front of the left foot, then step out with left foot.* I hope that makes sense.* Since you are cueing all of your turns with your left leg, it might be confusing for Scotty.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

You look awesome!!

Not that I am any kind of expert by any stretch of the imagination , but what about cueing with your shoulders?

Some of my instructors have suggested this, and I have found it really helps. I will start to sort of turn my shoulders in the direction we are going to go just a fraction of a second before we go that direction. It works really great when Angus is looking up at me. Not as well when he is sniffing the floor.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Oh, and also, that hair band thingie is a really creative way to get out of spitting treats! ROFL!

Maybe I'll try it. I just can't get on board with the treats in my mouth. :-X

Connie and "The Boys":

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

That looks really GOOD! Wow Scotty!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

You two look awesome! I am especially impressed with the heeling while you have your hands on two leashes! That must take a whole lot of coordination

You both look great (and you are obviously a good teacher too!)

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Thanks everybody. Connie, Scotty does know the shouldre ques (or at least I hope so). I'm trying to get where his head stays up the whole time. You should see our about turn now--head stays up the whole time!!! On the left turn, he does turn left--well, his front turns left, but he does a sloppy job on getting his butt in on the turn. That is why I was slowing down so much, to make sure his butt was turning as well as his front (Jess, that is why I have the second leash behind me to control his butt; and it did take a while to get used to it ). We'll keep working on the left turn, but it does help me to have the most of the turn executed with the right foot.

I wondered what the slow-mo turn was about I've never seen that before. Angus has the same problem. He will turn with me, but not with his butt where it's supposed to be. Did a trainer turn you onto that, or did you make it up? I'm wondering what to do for Angus for the same problem.

Oh well, our private trainer will probably not be covering that for weeks now. We are just working on attention at the moment. :-[ Talk about making you feel remedial...

This makes me want to do a video of me and Angus and post it for critiques!

Oh, and I never could get the hang of two leashes. I am not that coordinated.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast