question about sanctioned match

Thread: question about sanctioned match

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Defaultquestion about sanctioned match

My daughter wants to show Essy at a sanctioned match next month.* I was hoping to put them in PRE NOV and NOV A but I'm being told that they'd have to show in NOV A only, PRE NOV only, or go in NOV B for "exhibition only" if they also show in PRE NOV.* I was also hoping that she could use Murray to try Rally but again they said she'd have to show in ADV/EXC B becasuse he already has his Rally titles.

I haven't been to a sanctioned match in ages so I'm used to being able to enter the dog as many times as I want, even multiple times in the same class.* I know sanctioned matches run much like a real show but does anyone know if what I'm being told is correct?* I'm particularly cuirous as to why they'd have to show in Nov B if they also did Pre Nov.* Geez...the Nov class is going to go first anyway.* What's the difference?* I'm just trying to get some positive ring experience for my daughter.* Sanctioned matches don't count for anything (no points, no titles).* All they are is a dry run for the club to make sure everything is working smoothly for the real show.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about AKC.* They have a jr handling program for conformation where the kids use already titled dogs to gain experience in the ring but kids competing in obedience have to use inexperienced dogs and go up against experienced adults.* *You'd think they'd realize that the future of the sport lies with kids.* You have to get them interested early and they need to have some early success to keep that interest.

We have obedience practice at the training facility tonight.* My daughter will go tonight and I'll put her in the ring with someone else as judge to see how they do and decide if I'll enter them in PRE NOV or NOV A.* I need to make a decision soon.*
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: question about sanctioned match

Ok, Rally classes are based on what the dog has titled not on the person.* If Caleb did not have any titles he could have competed in the A classes (except for Novice I do believe) but once the dog is titled it must be in the B classes.* Goes by dog not person/handler.

Usually the "lesser" class is to be the practice class and the higher class for score.* Way it's always been since I've been competing some 20 years.* You could enter same class once for practice but I think it was the first score that counted.* There should be some rules listed on the AKC website regarding sanctioned matches.* I would think she could do Novice A since neither she nor the dog has ever been titled.

Plus, she can always do all of Novice A on lead.

Guess I should double check all that since I am judging a match in September!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    [color=Blue]Ok, Rally classes are based on what the dog has titled not on the person.* If Caleb did not have any titles he could have competed in the A classes (except for Novice I do believe) but once the dog is titled it must be in the B classes.* Goes by dog not person/handler.
    Yes I know that but this is a match.*I wouldn't mind putting Murray in Nov B with Meghan but I will not put him in Excellent. That isn't fair to Meghan. What difference should it make to them what class I want to "practice" in.* It doesn't count for anything (points, awards, etc)* and they are still getting paid.* That was my point.* I don't get this whole "sanctioned" thing.* The main purpose of the sanctioned matches is for the club to get experience putting on a show.* Competitors use matches to gain ring experience and see where their dogs are at. Why does AKC or the club, for that matter, care what class I choose or what dog I use to get that experience since it doesn't affect anyone but me?
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure about the Rally classes..but we've always allowed people to do Novice and Prenovice at our matches if they wanted.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yes you can go in for practice but no score. It is to be similar to dog show--no corrections, training in the ring etc.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Akc has some really odd rules about handlers too. Did you know that if you trained a dog for someone else and they got an OTCH with the dog then YOU can not enter in Open A even if you have never entered a dog in an AKC obedience match before, but you could still enter your own dog in novice A if you have not ever handled a dog that got a title or as long as the dog hasn't gotten any titles in Obedience..
    Damn these are confussing rules.

Kelly G and Amber CGC
    Chino CA
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

You can come to Canada, we have Jr handling for obedience, and is more about the child.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Were you getting the rules from the club or directly from the AKC on the sanctioned match? I don't think I ever attended one before...just B matches. And in those you can enter what ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Were you getting the rules from the club or directly from the AKC on the sanctioned match?*
    I was talking directly to the show secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    You can come to Canada, we have Jr handling for obedience, and is more about the child.
    I'm packing my bags. We should be there in a few hours. I wish AKC would do this. I don't understand why they have it for conformation but not the other sports. Oh yeah its because obedience is the red headed step child.

I decided to enter them in Novice A and Rally Novice A. My daughter will also be showing a friend's Lab pup in conformation. She's going to be a busy little girl. She should sleep well that night. ;D