Molly says no thanks to heeling...

Thread: Molly says no thanks to heeling...

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultMolly says no thanks to heeling...

I've been working with Molly on heeling. We make it about 15 steps before she decdies to break. I lure her along my left side with a treat and then she decides to swerve to the right or stop behind me and put her brakes on.

We've only been at this about 2 weeks and I try to stop when I see her getting ready to break (so as not to set her up to fail). Any tips or tricks that ya'll have on heeling??
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sheila is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Molly says no thanks to heeling...

When I first started with Beau I sounded like a Wack-job while we were walking. Constant chatter...anything in a light hearted lilting voice to keep him interested in moving with me. I also kept him in a tight heel for short periods of the walk gradually increasing them. The prong collar helped immensely...a quick pop when he stated to break usually got his attention. When he had been heeling nicely for a while, I would stop...have him sit...lots of praise & treats. Then release him and walk for awhile letting him sniff and wander. I'm not sure if its the right way to do it, but having to walk him in the city it seems to work for us. Even now I do not keep him in a tight heel the entire walk.
    <br />Beau &amp; Nikko

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

How old is Molly now? Heeling is one of the hardest commands to master, so don't expect too much from a young pup and after 2 weeks of training. Scotty and I have been working on heeling for at least 4 months, and he looses attention too.

I would do what Sheila suggested. Put Molly on a shorter leash, but still keep it loose. When Molly tries to sit down or swing to the right/left, give her a quick pop to get her attention back.

Actually, before we even started "heel" with Scotty, we worked on "look." "Look" just means to look at my hand with a treat. So now, if he looses attention when we're heeling, I say "look" and he usually starts to pay attention again. If not, quick pop on the leash to remind him what he should be paying attention to and praise when he looks at the treat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Sounds easy enough ;D Thanks for the tips Sheila and Tatyana!

Molly is just over 7 months old now so I figured now sounded as good a time as any to start on our heeling. Hopefully we'll find an obedience class close to us soon and we can get started in our next round of things to learn. So far we've got sit, down, wait, stay, loose lead walking (9 times out of 10) and watch me down pretty good. Still need to work on that recall a bit and heel is our next new thing in line
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)