How to get started.

Thread: How to get started.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow to get started.

I am thinking about doing agility/ obedience competition type stuff with my pup. He is 6.5 months old and has gone through level I training and is doing Level II right now. Can I start agility training with him now? or do I have to wait till he is older? I was told not to take him on long runs and such till he is 2 years old or so. Does this include agility type stuff too? Any tips and information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! (Hope my questions aren't terribly stupid...)
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to get started.

You can start training agility, but don't have your pup jumping yet! Most of agility training can be done with the 'jumps' set at a low height (6 inches), as you and he learn the handling skills invovled, and your pup becomes familiar with all of the obstacles. Jumping can be hard on their young joints.

Keep up with the training classes, both agility and obedience. They are a great way to get your pup used all the people, dogs, and discipline invovled in competitive events. Go to the shows and watch others compete and what is invovled. A confident dog and good team relationship are important components to sucessful competitors.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Keep up the obedience cause you need a dog that will come when called and work off lead if you are going to do agility. Most places do not start dogs in agility until they are closer to 2 years old and the growth plates are closed. You can do some very low impact stuff to begin teaching and conditioning but we usually recommend waiting until the dog is closer to 2.

Find a good trainer who has competed all ready and join classes there. You really need someone who has competed in some of the higher levels of competition to really get a good understanding/start. Often we make mistakes in training Novice stuff because it is not really understood what is needed in Open and Utility so then you have to go back and re-train.

Have fun!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice guys! I definitely enjoy doing all the obedience training with him and I think Buck enjoys it too because it gives him something to do. He is always walking around looking like he wants something to do!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Magnum and Ruger both started in agility when they were wee pups. I'd put them on the A-frame and dogwalk and teeter and let them play and get used to them. I'd also set up little jumps without the bars for them to jump (put the bar on the ground) and just got them used to following me as I "lead" them through our mini course. Nothing hard or strenuous, just fun and play for them.

Have fun!

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Yep we started Agility at about 10 months and the main things you have to watch out for are jumps (keep them really low) and weave polls (keep them spread apart not in a straight line so they for a tunnel that the pup goes straight through then gradually move them tighter together so that the dog will have to weave a bit as it goes through you don't want them straight till at least 18 months for labs) The contacts and tunnels and pause table etc are what you want to teach first. That and teach your dog left and right and go out and Mark or Touch etc.. and of course you need to learn all the different crosses and foot work..lol

Kelly G and Amber CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

ahh! Looks I NEED to learn ALOT before I can teach him anything!

I am totally clueless on this agility stuff...are there any books or anything of the sort out there that anyone can recommend?