Had a great time!

Thread: Had a great time!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultHad a great time!

Emilu and I went and observed the dog show today. They had AB and O. She was really, really good - but I kept the prong on her most of the time. We had one incident right before the Novice A started - I had set up my little chair in the corner -too close to the ring - didn't realize the dogs came right to that corner during the heel exercise. The guy that I had talked to on the phone yesterday to find out about times came over and said that I had to move, and normally they don't allow dogs that aren't entered to be there, but he remembered the phone call, so that helped out. We moved out of the way (very embarassed) and the rest of the day went without incident. People were very friendly and a girl from my class was there with her GSD (they went high score in Novice A) so we hung out together. I must say that Emilu seemed to be the friendiest dog there - she wasn't in people's faces or anything, but she is just so smiley and bright and people notice her. I feel much more confident now that we will be ready to do this soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Had a great time!

Glad you had a nice time. You might need to watch having that pinch on cause if a Super sees you, he can ask you to leave or at least take it off. Was at a show where people were asked to leave who had pinch collars on their dogs.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Glad you had a good time! At AKC shows you cannot have a prong collar on. They will ask you to leave. Just letting you know for the next time....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Of course I know that you can't show with a prong collar on, but I didn't realize that I couldn't have it there at all. (that would have REALLY been embarrassing) It has small prongs, and with Emilu's thick coat and "neck rolls" you could barely tell that it was't a chain collar. I also had her nice rolled leather 'show collar on her". I can't wait till I'm not a complete novice at this - I hate being really green about something - that is why I am trying to get some experience, but I seem to keep embarrassing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    but I seem to keep embarrassing myself.
    Like none us have done that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait until you do it in the ring and think you are going to die but then realize that you live through it and realize you won't die and begin to laugh.

I have known some shows to even ask you to leave even if you are camping on the show site and using a prong. Remmember Pat, we were all there before!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I have seen some people that are not showing or competing or just want to train at places like petco take their prong collar and cover it with a bandana. just poke the prongs through the material before putting it on. This makes your dog look way freindlier and hides the prongs...You could never get away showing like this though because the judge will ask you to remove the bandana before entering the ring. they are pretty smart that way. you can also use this to hide a E-collar if you use one in public places.

Also I should have told you that it is kind of understood that you don't sit within about 10-20 ft of the ring and that you try not to sit in line with the path of the dogs on the go outs or directed retrieves (at least not close) and that you keep your dog from barking while near the ring. you can generally get closser to the ring if you are on the side with the judges tent and try to avoid the far side of the ring.. The best time to talk to a judge is after all classes Novice A (most judges will be happy to talk to you and answer questions but some may not)

Just some thoughts

Kelly G and Amber CGC
    Chino Ca
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Now for Novice A they have a 15 minute walk thru before the class and many judges will talk to you then as well as long as it does not take so long that it takes away from judging time. I have seen some judges take each person through individually while they are all in for the walk thru to make sure they don't have any questions.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

I was at the far end where they come during their heeling pattern - probably the worst spot I could have been - and I was trying to be "out of the way" :P There were some dogs wearing cute scarves, and I thought at the time that I could have put this pretty "buff" that I have over her prong and that would have hid it completely. The prong really didn't show all that much and I could have just removed it if need be - glad they didn't seem to notice that too! All and all the day went very well and I was very pleased with Emilu. Live and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    Live and learn!
    Just like the rest of us!!!!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

One of the best things you can do at a show is ask one of the stewards to point out a club member who belongs to the sponsoring club so you can ask for help and advice. Usually the ring or recording stewards will be glad to point you to a really helpful person as this will help things go smoother and the stewards can get out of there earlier..
    It totally helps to have someone you can hang out with and answer your questions.

Kelly G and Amber CGC
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />