Trick for Stand?

Thread: Trick for Stand?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultTrick for Stand?

Anyone have a sure fire trick to get a stubborn girl to stand? We got through our CD with a touch on the collar and belly, but she is fighting me on doing it on command. I have done the stepping on the toes...she just moves out of my way! LOL

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Trick for Stand?

Do you mean standing from a sit, or staying standing after she stands up? I'm just muddling through here, and I know that the advanced obedience class that I attend now teaches it differently (and probably better), but I found that taking a half step forward as I gave Emilu a verbal and hand cue would make her get up, and then I just said "stay" - worked pretty well. Now she knows the command, which is good because I just realized as typing this that my body movement and a command or hand cue would probably be considered more than 1 command!

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I have done the stepping on the toes...she just moves out of my way!
    Do it against a wall or couch so she can't move away.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yes, I meant standing from a sit. Once she is standing, she'll stay.

I'll try the "against the wall trick".

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

When I was first teaching my dog, I would put a leash under his belly and pull it up (by popping it, not lifting the whole dog) as I was saying "stand." Also, to develop a good stand where the front legs don't move, but the rear legs do the lifting, I would tie my dog's leash to a door knob or something stationary and make him stand. Another way to teach standing up this way is to work on a stairs landing: make your dog sit with front legs near the edge and command "stand." The dog would (after a couple wrong tries) figure out kick the rear legs back to get into a stand position.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

We always taught stand with a food lure... dog in a sit, treat on the nose, then up slightly and out just enough that the dog rises into a stand, but not so far that they take a step.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Theo was standing from a sit pretty reliably, but it was slow and he was moving back a bit. So I actually reintroduced a very high-value food lure. When he was in the sit I palmed some liver so it was between my middle and ring fingers, and I very quickly snapped my hand downward right in front of his face, exposing my open palm with the treat stuck in the fingers. That actually got him to free stack (boing into position from the sit), because it was so exciting. After a few times, he got the idea. Now I only reward it intermittently for the fastest, closest, most energetic performances. Does that make sense?

I'll have to try all those suggestions. Unfortunately, Maddy couldn't care less about food for motivation. And if I motivate her with a toy, her ball OCD kicks in and her brain is gone.

I'll let you know what we try and how we fare.