What Are You Doing???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Doing???

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat Are You Doing???

Not much happening in this section lately... so, what are you doing with your dog these days? Post a little bit about what you've been up to.

At my house, the pool is OPEN officially (had a new liner put in). Dogs have been swimming every day this week and are pooped out. We've not used the pool most of the winter.

We've also been working on agility for an upcoming trial, Ruger has been working hard at the weaves, entry by himself and doing them all (he keeps screwing them up at trials).

Remington has been working a little bit on everything and a LOT on his tunnels exits. We've been making a big deal out of his tunnel exits (big jackpots of cheese). Hoping he won't stay and play in the tunnels at our next trial

Spring is my "vet" time. My horse saw the vet today. Magnum goes for her checkup on Thursday and then I will schedule for Ruger and then Remington. I hate springtime, it's expensive!!!

So, what's up in your neck of the woods...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'm still mostly working with one who's not my own, Hapi a 9 month old Dalmatian. He was a horrible blank slate, and I thought he'd kill me (I took pictures of the bruises and scrapes...my finger is still broken though, awaiting surgery...), but I've perservered, and so has Hapi, and he's monumentally better. His vet and his breeder (one of the tops in Canada) recommended euthanizing him just 4 weeks ago, he was THAT bad. Tonight he learned shake a paw, and his owner's wife started to cry. He's been spending weekends at my house, learning appropriate behaviours from, if you can believe it, my Ginny Monster, who is better at teaching than she is just being herself! The other dogs owners in his class just see Hapi as the psycho Dalmatian, but tonight, someone said 'Look, Hapi is looking at Melissa' and it made my heart happy to know someone realized its not all about sitting and staying. He's taught me that. Little steps.

On my front, Rhys is having an upper GI tomorrow, to find out if the strictures of his esophagus are back, he's having a rough time swallowing and is retching a lot, even on muscle relaxers.

Ruby is GREAT, not doing much with her because of HapiDal, but she's on my lap as we speak, er type.

Gin, well Gin and her littermate Marshall are prepping themselves for the great pilgrimidge to Frederick Maryland for the Potomac Lab specialty...anyone else going? She's just restarting the novice class (we're week 2) as I think a solid foundation is soooo important, she's retaking it until I'm happy with her attention and positioning. She's a gift though, after her mother Ruby, I'll tell you, natural aptitude goes a long way for sure at my house. She is a willing and happy baby and I am in no hurry to squash that.

Mostly just enjoying the puppers, and being grateful I have labs and NOT Dalmatians!!!
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 03-24-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Training a wild child 16 wk old on live pigeons, obed, and baby agility, running her mom in agility again, tending to one pregger aunt due in 3 wks, training the other aunt and the 2yo at open obed level, and just hugging my old coot in my spare time. Anne

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Still plugging away at agility with Peanut, she's in the "advanced" class now. With Baloo it's all about exposure exposure exposure, so we've been trying to hit petsmart to train. He went to the matches (rally and obedience) at the sportsman's show last week and was pretty good. We got some great feedback and advice. His heeling improved, did the heel-free dragging a line and only had one minor mess up. The only thing that really bothered me was that he shuffled feet on the SFE, something he has NEVER done, *sigh*.

So that's us. Pretty well same old at this point. I'm going to try and hit more matches with Baloo to hopefully ready him for trials in the late spring/summer, but we'll see. I'm also really hoping to get Peanut in the agility ring this year, so we'll be working on that. One of my mom's friend's has an agility field that he's offered to let us use, so I'll be practicing with both dogs on that when the weather cooperates. With Baloo mostly just for fun, as I don't think he really has the body type to be able to do agility safely at full height and intensity.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Well, spring is in the area in Ohio. Had Caleb outside working him some on his obedience. We're entered in another trial this weekend. When he gets it all together, notice I did say "when" he'll be awesome. I've been going different places to work on his go-outs. We'll see about his out-of-sites.

Micah continues to learn and amaze me. What a boy! So much about him I like for obedience. We're having fun and even started scent discrimination work with him. He certainly is his own little man and has his own drum beat. But I love his attitude and those hopeful eyes! They get me every time! Not sure he'll fill out enough for the breed ring, but that is ok.

Show season is in full swing around here so I'm carefully scheduling shows to not wear Caleb out but still have him out enough. We're going to Canada for sure in July--the obedience judges are really good for us so I hope to finish Caleb's Canadian UD. I'll probably put Micah in Rally Novice up there for the fun of it.

Between the training center, training and the blog, I have certainly been busy. Tuesdays and Thursdays I leave before 9 a.m. and get home around 10 p.m. Long days which means I'm beat on Wednesdays and Fridays--my normal days for doing stuff around the house. So, I try to get my cleaning, laundry and cooking in. Have not even had a chance to do anything in the yard. The bathroom is about done but I still need to get the new border up.

Aren't you sorry you ask! LOL
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

sarah is offline Senior Member

We are chugging along in Obedience Miss Milly and I. We have aways to go and she's starting to try my patience in her manners at Obedience and at home. I thought Labs were naughty and disobedient up until they were 1? Not a 15 month old lab with 11months work of solid obedience training and plenty of exercise? *sigh* ... I do hope she grows out of it.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Still at loose ends here, no trainer and no practice facility. Think I'm going to work on Sophie's manners here to see if I can get her CGC this summer.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Great updates everyone, thanks for posting. It's nice to sit down a read a bit of your lives now and again

We should do this more often!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Kodi and I are campaigning for her UDX this year and will dabble in UKC Rally. I doubt we'll get many OTCH points considering the competition we are with, but we will keep plugging away. She is a very very special little girl!

I am training Hoss for Novice obedience, UKC Rally and most importantly, Seasoned Hunt Tests. He has two more passes to go, but we have a lot to do in water blinds. (Picture UKC gloves at 60 yards, and the gloves hidden in tall grass!).

I have a 10 month old in for training. We are 1 1/2 weeks into force fetch. She is in standing heat right now, so her brains are leaking out her butt, but progress is being made. She is soooo soft that even a collar pop shuts her down, so I have to be really careful about how I progress with her.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Working with Jake on polishing his RA stuff, and getting the RE things down. We're pretty much ready for Novice, except for SFE - I'm always training by myself, so I've never got an examiner lol. I need to bribe some of my classmates to help me out.

I had a "back up in heel" breakthrough the other night. Jake's been sitting and backing up from a sit lately - I looped the leash under his front leg and voila! It's very hard to sit with the down pressure on the neck and he backed right up like normal. Woohoo! It's a little more forceful than I like (I usually like to have him understand without my physical force) but it worked and he isn't stressed

Whatever happened to the member from Arizona whose daughter showed too? How is she? Anyone hear from her?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast