What do you think about doing this.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about doing this.....

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat do you think about doing this.....

I am gearing up to entering Emilu in our first show - most likely rally, as we are not ready for off leash heeling. I want to go see one more show before entering one. I read that it is a very good idea to take your dog to a show so they can get used to the atmosphere. I love this idea, but I have heard that you're not supposed to take your dogs to shows unless they are entered. How about a hopefully well-behaved (that's why we're going - to find out) obedience trained dog who needs to see what it's all about? Should I just take her, hope for the best and remove her if she is disruptive (I don't think she will be), or find someone to ask and risk getting told no?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you think about doing this.....

Usually crating is limited at shows and they really do not want you bringing extra dogs. I have taken Magnum with us when I'm showing Ruger though, and nobody has ever said anything. However, if you brought her and didn't actually show... someone might say something. Then again, if you took her and a crate and set it up... probably nobody would really notice.

Just wanted to add.. when I first started showing Magnum and Ruger, I would be sure to get them to the show at LEAST an hour before they were to be in the ring so they could settle down some. They were both nuts when they were younger and literally pulled me into the buildings, dragging my gear with me.. yep, really well trained obedience dogs...

I wasn't thinking of setting up a crate, just having her with me. I could take a crate in the car just in case and sit with her outside in the shade if need be.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I would take her and walk around the grounds and practice your heeling and attention. Remember no prong collars or halti leads at AKC sanctioned shows.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Enter her Exhibition Only and she can come and go as she pleases
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I ALWAYS take an extra dog if I can (fit it into the car) to a show. Put her on a lead and just walk her around, watch the ring. Nobody will know whether she is entered or not. Because crating space does tend to be limited, I would NOT set up a crate. (Heck though, if there's lots of room, set up a crate, it's good experience).
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

kassabella is offline Senior Member

This is a very good idea.
    I would take her. I think this has been one of my big mistakes with Ernie. he gets there and is like a man in a brewery. doesn't know where to start.

I am sure going without competing is more relaxed and you both get used to the surroundings. Here is N.Z. you can take dogs to any shows and not compete.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I always try to bring Scotty to the shows that I go watch. Most of the time, I don't have a crate... just walk with him all over the place. Nobody ever said anything to me.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Any matches you can enter? That way you can try Rally or even try Sub-Novice Obedience (all on leash) and get practice in a less stressful environment. I did matches and show n go's for a while until I bit the bullet.

I can't find any matches withing a reasonble driving distance right now. I am just going to bite the bullet and enter her in Rally starting in September. WE should be ready - just have to start working without the prong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast