~sigh~

Thread: ~sigh~

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Default~sigh~

What a year. I can't catch a break.

I'm taking 3 days off work to go to a show in CA this weekend. I never show out of state but made an exception this time because a friend really wants me to go with her to split costs.

SOOO...Murray broke my finger last week and that has slowed me down considerably (it's on my left hand and I'm left handed of course). Then Mon I was working Murray on a couple of Open exercises. He did the BJ once, then refused to jump again...kept walking it even when we did a run by. I finally stopped after the 3 time of him walking it because I couldn't figure out why he was doing that. He has never walked the BJ...ever. Tues I met with my friends to train. As I was warming Murray up, one friend said "he's limping." SHIT!!!! All of my friends watched while I heeled him. I couldn't see it and several of them said they couldn't see it but my one friend said she could definitely see it so I asked another friend to heel him so I could watch but I still couldn't see it. Finally we all saw it. It really shows up on the slow pace when he is actually walking. It is ever so slight when he's trotting or running which is why I couldn't see it from my angle when heeling him but he's definitely limping on the slow. It looks to be a soft tissue shoulder injury (left front) which seems odd since I would expect the injury to be on the right if it was caused by the BJ. I decided not to work Murray, just let him rest. I've got him on Ascriptin twice/day. I'm hoping beyond hope that he'll be healthy by Fri. Otherwise this just became a very expensive vacation.

ARRRGGGHHH...why me?

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ~sigh~

A few days rest should do him right. Hopefully the limp will be gone and you'll be able to show. Most likey the BJ was giving him a problem because something was hurting him. Our dogs tend to be quiet stoic, so even a slight limp may in fact actually be something that is more bothersome to the dog than what we can see. Rest him and go on from there.

How in the world did he break your finger... Yank you with the least? My horse broke my finger once, she pulled suddenly to the right and I of course tightened my hand on the lead, and my finger snapped. I should learn to let go

I hope you are able to make it to the show!!!

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    How in the world did he break your finger... Yank you with the least?*
    Yep! That's EXACTLY what my "obedience trained" dog did.

We were at agility practice Thur night waiting in line for our turn. Murray was on the leash so I was making short tosses of a ball to keep him entertained. I tossed the ball one time just as I turned to talk to someone so I didn't notice that the ball bounced out of leash reach. Murray dove for the ball, which yanked my arm and spun me around. I immediately let go of the leash but as it slipped thru my hand, the hand loop looped around my pinky and snapped it backwards. I was afraid to look at it because I really expected it to be pointing the other direction but thankfully it wasn't. The dr said it was a twisting fracture. Basically Murray twisted the littlest joint of my pinky which fractured the tuft of the longer middle bone. The fracture is actually on the outside edge at the fingertip end of the 2nd joint (the longest bone closest to the tip) but the entire finger is swollen the size of my middle finger and black & blue top & bottom from the tip all the way up to my knuckles on the top of my hand. It's a particularly pretty shade of black and green today.

Moral of the story...always keep your eye on the ball.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ouch! I was actually leading my horse up to the trailer to take her to the vet (to avoid a vet call). It was cold outside and she spooked and my ring finger on my right hand just snapped. At the hospital the doc told me its pretty impossible to break a finger unless you crush it... he thought it was just popped out of joint but did the xray and HA HA, the 2nd bone from the tip was broken in THREE places, like a Y. I know about it swelling and turning pretty colors. And I honestly think a broken finger is worse than a broken arm! It is very debilitating.

I sure hope you start to feel better soon. And I hope Murray feels better soon too!

Could he have done something at agility that night to injure himself??

At the hospital the doc told me its pretty impossible to break a finger unless you crush it...
    Really?* I thought it would be pretty easy.* I saw how fragile/spindely the bones looked on the xray.* * This is actually my 2nd broken finger.* My horse broke the middle joint of my ring finger on my left hand when I was riding her because she threw her head up and smashed my finger between the rein and the saddle horn. I guess that would be a crushing type injury though.*

Could he have done something at agility that night to injure himself??
    I don't think so.* Agility was Thur. We practiced obedience with the gang on Sat & Sun and Murray was jumping fine then and no limping...at least none that anyone noticed. The first sign of a problem was the refusal of Mon's 2nd BJ (1st one went fine) but I still didn't notice any limping at that time or I wouldn't have asked him to try 3 more times.* :'( Tues was when someone else noticed the limping and the lightbulb went off in my head that it was probably the reason he didn't do the BJ again.

I feel bad because my friends always tell me that Murray would still try to work for me even if all of his legs had been cut off. He just has that kind of work ethic. I should have known something was wrong when he refused the BJ. :'(

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Wow, Lydia!!!* Ok, guys, I broke my thumb and nose riding my bike!* Ok, there!* Have a good laugh!* Nothing as noble as dog training (you were training, right Lydia!!!* :)*

More dogs injure their shoulder on that bj--it is amazing.* Sorry to hear about Murray.* Keep us posted on how he does.* I do pray it works out for you going to the shows in CA.* I know we had to "eat" some entries this past weekend for the breed ring--no points.* Only 4 Labs total entered--2 dogs, 1 bitch and 1 special.* No sense going.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    Wow, Lydia!!!* Ok, guys, I broke my thumb and nose riding my bike!* Ok, there!* Have a good laugh!* Nothing as noble as dog training (you were training, right Lydia!!!* :)*
    HA! Sorry. The visual is just too funny. Was your thumb up your nose at the time.

More dogs injure their shoulder on that bj--it is amazing.* Sorry
    That's the truth but I'm still trying to figure out why it's his left shoulder and not his right. You'd think it would be the right shoulder since they tend to land and pivot on that leg.

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    HA! Sorry.* The visual is just too funny.* Was your thumb up your nose at the time.*

More dogs injure their shoulder on that bj--it is amazing.* Sorry
    That's the truth but I'm still trying to figure out why it's his left shoulder and not his right.* You'd think it would be the right shoulder since they tend to land and pivot on that leg.
    Gee, I missed that it was his left shoulder!!!

Ok, I broke my thumb when I was in sixth grade (went head over bike when my foot slipped off the pedel) and my nose the summer between my junior and senior year in high school (at the park where the high school basketball team was practicing right in front of the courts!)
    Susan

www.labmed.org

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I started reading this and could feel the pain. Ouch

Then ended up laughing. I am sorry to laugh, but it is so easy to do. Especially in competitions.
    When Ernie was playing up in our competition. He jurked forward and I somehow got my finger caught in the metal ring of the lead. It is still sore.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella

Then ended up laughing. I am sorry to laugh, but it is so easy to do. Especially in competitions.
    If we cannot laugh at ourselves, then we need to find something else to do! I firmly believe we have got to have a sense of humor to be training and competing with Labs!!!! ;D
    Susan

www.labmed.org