Utility Run Through Results

Thread: Utility Run Through Results

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultUtility Run Through Results

Well, I met with a couple other folks from our dog club early this morning for run-thrus. Ruger has never done Utility anywhere but at home. He really did well, considering.

We met in a high school parking lot. Joggers and cars were moving about. He didn't mind those.

His heeling pattern was very nice... a bit laggy in the about turns but otherwise very good. He NAILED his signals!!! (I've been really working on the "sit"... and was so proud when he kept his attention on me and did it!!!

Scent articles were 50/50. He got the metal one perfectly. The leather one.. he brought back the wrong one. The gal putting them out was handling them and I think with her scent on it, plus the other gal who played "steward" had her scent on all the other ones, it was just a bit much. But we let him try it again, and the 2nd time out he got it correctly. I did do the turn/sit/send.

Gloves. Perfect!!! Our "judge" picked #2. I rarely work #2. I about fell over on the pivot (it makes me dizzy) but Ruger nailed it!!

Stand for exam. Nailed it.

Go outs... we need work. But he nailed the directed jumping part.

I got a nice compliment from Debbie (she's our local OTCH handler.) She said knowing the fact that I train by myself, alone, she is very impressed with how far we've come and very impressed with Ruger's ability and working attitude. That made me feel really good.

We are going to practice again one more time before the fun match July 17. I just don't want to make a total fool out of myself at the match

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Utility Run Through Results

Linda, that is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* UD title, here we come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Gloves.* Perfect!!!* Our "judge" picked #2.* I rarely work #2.* I about fell over on the pivot (it makes me dizzy) but Ruger nailed it!!

The OTCh trainer/handler that I take lessons from is also a judge.* She said that often times in Utility A the judge will give glove #2 because it is the easiest for the dog/handler teams.* So, you might want to practice up on that pivot!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Susan, we are a LONG way from a UD... but I can see it all coming together, finally. Now... I know it will fall apart too ;D Ruger does that. He'll pick an exercise and decide either to do it his way, or not at all. I'm wondering what it will be and when?

Debbie told me that her dog will totally forget stuff now and then (she's working on an OTCH with him) and she will have to go back to the beginning and work him on it again to get him back in top form.

She showed me today how to make a guide to the go-out point. I'm going to use that this week and see how it works. Right now his go-outs are his weakest point. He pretty much knows what to do, he just doesn't have the confidence to go do it by himself. I usually always have to walk out and show him where to go...go back to him... and then send him.

He also did all this stuff this morning WITH an ear infection. His little ear was droopy and his head tilted to one side. I am using the purple stuff ... it usually clears up in a couple days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh, just wanted to add FWIW.. Debbie told me that if I KNEW Ruger picked up the wrong article.. to "let him know" by giving a shrug and taking it from him BEFORE he actually does the "front/sit". She said she does this in the ring all the time... it helps to let the dog know it's wrong... and you've NQ'd anyway.. so don't let them finish like they did it correctly. Makes sense to me She did say to be SURE you know the dog is wrong before you act so non-chalant.. or you could NQ yourself if in fact the dog is correct ;D ;D

Oh, just wanted to add FWIW.. Debbie told me that if I KNEW Ruger picked up the wrong article.. to "let him know" by giving a shrug and taking it from him BEFORE he actually does the "front/sit".* She said she does this in the ring all the time... it helps to let the dog know it's wrong... and you've NQ'd anyway.. so don't let them finish like they did it correctly.* Makes sense to me * She did say to be SURE you know the dog is wrong before you act so non-chalant.. or you could NQ yourself if in fact the dog is correct* ;D ;D
    Yes, if they have done something incorrectly, don't let them front. I have even seen on the directed jumping that when the dog has messed up the people don't turn for the dog to do the front but will continue standing the same direction as when they sent them and makes the dog work harder. You cannont "train" in the ring but they are sure coming up with ways to communicate with the dog that something was not done correctly! I have done something similar if Caleb had broke on the retrieves in Open, etc.

Susan

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

It sounds like he's coming along nicely. I don't think you can make a fool of yourself in Utility because everyone has been there, done that before too. You'd have to be pretty darn creative to come up with something that hasn't been seen before. ;D

Oh, just wanted to add FWIW.. Debbie told me that if I KNEW Ruger picked up the wrong article.. to "let him know" by giving a shrug and taking it from him BEFORE he actually does the "front/sit".*
    Absolutely! I actually meet Murray half way when he's incorrect. Now as soon as he sees me step towards him, he knows he's wrong and will put down the article he has and go back to the pile.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    It sounds like he's coming along nicely.* I don't think you can make a fool of yourself in Utility because everyone has been there, done that before too.* You'd have to be pretty darn creative to come up with something that hasn't been seen before.* ;D

Oh, just wanted to add FWIW.. Debbie told me that if I KNEW Ruger picked up the wrong article.. to "let him know" by giving a shrug and taking it from him BEFORE he actually does the "front/sit".*
    Absolutely!* I actually meet Murray half way when he's incorrect.* Now as soon as he sees me step towards him, he knows he's wrong and will put down the article he has and go back to the pile.
    Yep, you would have to come up with something really creative there Linda!!!!
    Susan

www.labmed.org